LegacyGT.com

Need to replace my calipers due to brake rust what are my options?

2-Ton

Need to replace them, front and rears, what are my options for around/little more the cost of stock calipers? what brands are good for my to look at for a little better performance without a ton of cost? Im looking for the monroe or kyb's of calipers or at most the whitelines. I have no idea about the dif brands of calipers ob thus the brand references. Also I want them to fit OE style replacement pads

NAPA give me a price of $99 just last week.

Call around to the auto parts stores like us old guy's used to do back before the internet.

If you needed bigger brakes, you would already know that. a stock replacement will be fine, just get good pads.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You say because of rust. What's so rusty about them ? A wire brush and some high temp paint and they'll look great.

I have the front apart on my Spec B right now. I'm painting the calipers and replacing the brackets because I have one frozen pin on 3 brackets.

I picked up the front brackets from my dealer, about $50.00 each.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You say because of rust. What's so rusty about them ? A wire brush and some high temp paint and they'll look great.

I have the front apart on my Spec B right now. I'm painting the calipers and replacing the brackets because I have one frozen pin on 3 brackets.

I picked up the front brackets from my dealer, about $50.00 each.

My seals where all pitted and cracked on 3 of my 4 calipers and with all the rust on them and on the pads/calipers I figured since I was replacing my rotors and struts I might as well replace them as well. Was able to get becks for my fronts but could not find a place that could ship me replacement rears for a reasonable price for my timeframe to do the work. I got the becks and saw they where unpainted (why the hell do they not powercoat the dam things!?) so i painted them with red plasti coat. It was pretty good but I was disapointed to learn how long it takes for that stuff to actually cure and it does not handle solvents that well. (I use a decent amount of slap shot when working on breaks/rotors so I know I wont have any oil or grease on my pads or rotor. other then that it looks pretty good. The rears will have to wait for another day when I can do them. no point painting them as they are rusted up really bad and I doubt the paint will stick for the amount of work it would be to wire brush all the scale and rust off the dam things.

Let us know how the plasti coat handles the heat.

Most of us use high temp caliper paint.

Yeah Ill post how it looks in a few months. the plasticcoat is high temp and for calipers, got it from lordco.

Archived