LegacyGT.com

Where is my power steering fluid going?

So, Subarus are fairly new to me, and before I start pulling my wagon apart I want to ask if anyone has experienced this.

About 3 weeks ago my power steering pump started whining and the steering got very stiff. I checked the fluid level, and it was low. I filled it up to the full level, cycled the pump, drove around for a bit, and then topped it off. Now a few days ago, same thing, whining pump, low fluid level, etc.

The thing is, there are no leaks I can see, nothing wet under the hood. No spots in the garage or driveway, no spots when I leave work, and the bottom of the engine and car is dry.

Is there a place it could be leaking into that it is just collecting and can't come out -- such as behind the time cover? I thought when I did the timing belt on my sedan that the cover had drain holes/slots on the bottom, but I don't remember.

Anyone have this happen?

Get under the car a look at the steering rack where the steering wheel shaft enters it.

My trusted mechanic replaced mine a couple years ago for leaking there. Mine never dripped on the ground. There's was only one brand of rack he would use, it wasn't a Cardone one, he did not have good luck with them. Sorry, I can't remember the name brand he would use.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the info -- will check it out tonight.

Side note, the reservoir was almost empty yesterday, I filled it, drove it about 3 miles, and now it is almost empty again -- so whatever is happening is getting worse. So far I put almost a quart of fluid in, so I am really surprised there is no evidence of a leak(yet).

I guess this forces me to drive the Jeep for a while. Not a great DD, but it will crawl over a hypermiling Prius, so it has it bonuses.

a qt of PS fluid every 3 miles should be VERY obvious where its leaking from if you get under the car.

To clarify, the first time I filled the res. it lasted about 200 miles. The next time I filled it was when it lasted 3 miles -- I have put just under a quart in total.

Regardless, the car is bone dry -- even if it was only coming out when moving, the bottom of the car would be covered, it would be burning off the exhaust, etc. My better half's Grand Cherokee had a hose go out, and the entire bottom of the vehicle was covered, even the back of the Jeep was greasy from it blowing out and getting caught in the turbulence, and she only drove it home. The GT is definitely not dripping any where, any time.

Or its filled in the rack bellows and they just didn't pop yet.

I'm going to have to check the boots on the rack, I didn't even think about that. Not sure they can hold that much fluid though...

Two cars with PS issues in the last two weeks. Hope the Wrangler isn't next.

If you jack the car up, get your face under the rack you will see the leak.

There's NO way you're using that much fluid with no very obvious signs of leakage.

Those bellows are not air tight, that much quantity will just flow out of them freely.

Mine's got a nice slow leak. I haven't had to top mine off yet after 8k miles, but a new rack is in my future.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

One would think, right?

I have been working on cars for over 30 years -- I helped my dad change the oil for the first time when I was 3 years old. I know what a leak looks like. Since I am new to Subarus, I wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue, like it was collecting somewhere and not leaking out.

To me an obvious sign of a leak would be wet spots on the ground, wet spots under the hood or around a leaking part, and with as much fluid as I have put in, the entire bottom of the car should be wet. I am telling everything is bone dry. I moved the car to the driveway Saturday morning and it sat there until now. There is not one drop on the ground.

I'm not sure what to tell you.

PS system + BIG leak = fluid loss. There's nowhere else for it to go.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Archived