LegacyGT.com

Prospective Legacy or LGT Wagon buyer with questions

dishwab

Hey all, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with some of these questions but I'm trying to wrap my head around what it is exactly I'm looking to purchase and was hoping for some insight.

I'm coming from the BMW world in need of a more practical daily/winter driver. I currently split daily duties between a 2002 330ci and a 1989 M30 swapped 325i/335i (both straight 6, RWD, 5 speeds).

I am looking specifically for a Subaru wagon that is fun to drive, fairly quick, and good in the snow to replace the e46.

With those goals in mind, obviously first on my list would be a Legacy GT Limited with a 5 speed. I've come to find out though that this is a fairly rare bird.

From there I'm wondering if I'm better off settling for an automatic LGT or looking for a 2.5i Limited 5 speed. I've never owned a car that wasn't a standard trans, so the idea of an automatic isn't super appealing to me. On the other hand, if I'm going to be vastly disappointed with the power of the 2.5i, it may be worth sacrificing the 3rd pedal for that extra 75-odd HP. I've definitely ruled out the 2.5i auto.

Limited package is preferred as I've become used to the creature comforts of leather, heated seats, and a sunroof in my E46.

I've also been looking at the Saab 92-x Aero, but that's a distinct runner-up as the interior finishes and paint seem much cheaper than the Legacy family.

So – any thoughts on the above? I haven't been able to find many local examples to test drive, and I don't want to be "that guy" tire kicking for the hell of it, so I'm looking for some advice from people with experience with these cars than myself. Is the 2.5i painfully slow, or does the 5MT help make up for some of that loss of power? Those are the answers that I seek

Thanks, Joe

I've never driven a 2.5i... but it would be a hell of a lot more sluggish than your 330Ci. I had a 2004 330Ci, a 2002 330i, and a 2006 M3 convertible. I had a Tundra for about two years, and then moved over to my LGT sedan. Frankly, I would probably be bored with a stock LGT at this point. To meet your goals of a fun, quick, daily snow car, however, an LGT is difficult to top. I've also never driven an AWD 3-series, so I can't speak to that... but it would obviously be more pricey than an LGT, all things being equal.

I wouldn't worry about being a tire-kicker. Go find a 5MT LGT for sale & drive it. And drive a 2.5i, while you're at it, although it falls pretty short of your goal of "quick."

Tits mcgee

I've never driven a 2.5i... but it would be a hell of a lot more sluggish than your 330Ci. I had a 2004 330Ci, a 2002 330i, and a 2006 M3 convertible. I had a Tundra for about two years, and then moved over to my LGT sedan. Frankly, I would probably be bored with a stock LGT at this point. To meet your goals of a fun, quick, daily snow car, however, an LGT is difficult to top. I've also never driven an AWD 3-series, so I can't speak to that... but it would obviously be more pricey than an LGT, all things being equal.

I wouldn't worry about being a tire-kicker. Go find a 5MT LGT for sale & drive it. And drive a 2.5i, while you're at it, although it falls pretty short of your goal of "quick."

Thanks for the input. I will probably just have to find one local to drive and see what fits best. Trouble with that is actually finding one. I suppose I could test drive a sedan – I imagine the ride is probably pretty similar to the wagon?

I've heard that the AWD in the E46 platform isn't great, so I'm avoiding that route. I drove my roommates LL Bean Outback and loved it in the snow, but not the 4x4 height, which is what led me to the LGT.

Well, if you can't find one, what are the chances you'll be able to buy one?

You could always go the OBXT route as BMB did, and mod-in your desired height & handling.

I'm definitely willing to travel for the right car (bought my E46 in NJ and E30 in IL) but a test drive would have to be local.

That's a good point about the OBXT. No real issue with the looks other than ride height, and obviously the suspension can be swapped out. I'll start including those in my searches

If your location were posted, maybe a member would be nice enough to take you out for a drive.

Done and Done :cool:

I actually already received one such offer, which was very much appreciated. Unfortunately he was a few states away.

• 1 month later...

Update if anyone out there is interested: I lucked out and found a great 2005 LGT Wagon in Kalamazoo, MI (about 3 hours from Detroit). It's a 5MT, limited package, with 110k on the odometer. Engine has 2,000 miles on a fresh rebuild and new factory turbo. I purchased it from the dealership Master Tech who bought the car when it was non-running, did the work, and sold it to me. Loving it so far.

Here she is when I picked her up:

15166182578_2220b8cf15_c.jpg

And hanging with the rest of the fleet (if anyone's in the market for an e46 coupe, let me know)

15329727036_0d41343ba3_c.jpg

Nice find! That e46 is hawt.

, tho. :(

. . And I'm the kinda guy that would drive the hell outta that thing.

Hey now! We aren't all bad. Some of us are E30 drivers too...

Really though I love my e46 and will miss it dearly, I just can't justify having 3 cars and the E30 JUST gets the nod. It's definitely more of a money pit, but a lovable one.

Archived