LegacyGT.com

Driving "skills"

derffred

what makes a good driver? when i'm taking my time, my upshifts and downshifts are almost flawless.. however, when i'm "racing" someone, and i upshift hard and fast.. i feel like it's not 100%.. sometimes switching from first to second.. i'll shift fast and drop the clutch and sometimes i'll get a HUGE jerk and hear a slight bang.. i know it's not the car, it's my driving... what am i doing wrong.. what makes a launch "good".. from the line, a roll, and fast shifting... ALL information is greatly appreciated...

i know there's a million posts about the accessport.. but honestly i didn't feel like searching... so my car is stock, all i did was remove the intake silencer... i want to get the accessport stage 1.. but with fuel costs being so ridiculous i'm starting to double think.. which brings me to LGT.com to ask a question or two... what's the difference in fuel economy with AP Stage 1... compared to stock. please be generic because i know fuel economy is biased upon driver input.

another question.. i removed the intake silencer attached to the bottom of the airbox.. now since the silencer is no longer present, there's a small box exposed to the undercarriage/ground... should i be worried about rain/water/debris? should i put the silencer back in? i don't want to mess anything up.. all advice will be GREATLY appreciated..

Been Stage I for about 1.5 months...gas mileage seems better on the highway, when taking it easy (~2 mpg better), and about the same to slightly better around town, once again with moderate throttle.

The difference is that you won't WANT to take it easy! At least for me, I put it on so I could get even more of the "whoosh" feeling as the turbo pinned me back into the seat...saving my pennies for Stage II now...

I don't know about the intake silencer, although consensus seems to be that the risk of the mod is minimal.

my .02

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

okay... i figured the intake silencer being removed has just about the same precautions as a cold air intake system... and if the stage 1 has generally better fuel economy than stock... then i'll be on my way to ordering it ;]

i woudlnt say stage 1 is 'better' than stock (although, an economy map is available) -- but it is certianly not worse. I still get 23mpg city driving consistantly.

dont worry about the intake silencer, it should not pose any problems.

as for launching, the secret is to keep the RPM's up, and ease out the clutch slowly. Do not drop it suddenly or to quickly. This is when you get the bang like you explained (in a RWD/FWD car this would just cause the wheels to spin, in an AWD car, it just causes a lot of stress on the center differntial and a lot of extra wear and tear).

just know your slip points for the clutch and know what the car is doing with the engine speed and tranny speed.. since you are talking about upshifting, there's not much you can do other than just wait for the rpms to drop to match the engine speed to the car speed all while giving it the right amount of momentum and force to continue onto 2nd gear. If you want a cleaner upshift, you can get a lighten flywheel and learn how to keep the throttle on longer when you push the clutch in to control the rpms to match to the next higher gear for the ultimate smooth and quicker shift time. This of course will take even a longer practice time to achieve perfection.. a stock flywheel buys you time and makes you learn where all the "windows of opportunities" are when shifting since the windows are a larger time frame to shift and clutch-out.

A good launch is considered with a little bit of wheel spin (better to be excessive on this portion), no lag or bog, keep the boost up (as you are not just dealing with a turbo car, but you have AWD worth of resistance to suck out the power out of the car) and a clean pull all while NOT burning up your clutch from high rpms and no grab. Dumping the clutch isnt going to help either as the pressure plate will wear out and you start wearing out the clutch and leaving burn marks all over the surface.

Keefe

Keefe

that's a lot guys... oh by the way... at a red traffic light, on my way home from work.. it was me in my LGT 5spd.. vs. a c5 corvette (not the zo6)... i fucked up when the light turned green, and my car just fell on its face haha.. but when i got going, he couldn't lose me.. granted he was ahead of me the whole time.. but he couldn't get away.. so if i launched properly, chances are i would've won ;\ i blew it haha

Archived