LegacyGT.com

Another cooling fan problem- a bit different from others

SohcIt2me

Hi everyone. First time having to post anything and register since every problem I ever had with my car was answered through this forum without any of my input. Sorry about the long post, but I'm at my wits end and want to be as detailed as possible.

About car:

2008 subaru legacy limited 2.5 sohc limited, 5 speed manual transmission.

Problem:

Both fans running constantly at high speed, even when cold and I turn the key to turn on only electronics (engine is off).

I noticed my fan running on full blast a week ago and check engine light on with cruise flashing so I figured maybe the thermostat was going bad. I changed my "oil temperature sensor" because it was completely broken off from the harness (pulled code p0198): "engine oil temperature sensor 'A' circuit high" to check the sensor which was obviously bad. Had the worst time talking to multiple dealerships to get a replacement oil temperature sensor. Most of them said they could only find a coolant temperature sensor but no oil temperature sensor. Finally one dealership said they found what I was talking about and I had them hold the part. 22630aa17a. Looked it up and it's the coolant temp sensor. In every way it looks exactly like the part I needed so I just used it since there's no subaru dealership that says an oil temp sensor exists. If anyone knows about this I would love to know if I have the right part in.

So, after that, the p0198 code is gone but the fan still exactly the same. So I decide to change the thermostat (genuine from dealership, installed correctly: spring side in block, jiggly thing on top), flushed all the old coolant from block and radiator with distiller water, and put in 50-50 of the green long life subaru coolant with the little bottle of conditioner. Still no change in the fans but noticed that the upper hose to the radiator gets hot, while the lower was cool to touch after driving it for 15 minutes or so; 74 degree weather. The car temp gauge stays just a bit below middle (used to be in middle before fans ran constantly), and doesn't go above middle ever (so far).

Checked to see if the coolant temp sensor was bad (engine one, which confirmed the part I replaced wasn't the same location as the coolant temp sensor ) by unplugging it and seeing whether that made a difference. No change. Then I checked ohms on the fan relays in the engine bay (everything seemed fine), didn't check electrical cause I didn't want to do something bad by accident. Water pump seemed fine by listening for weird noises only.

I read the many forums topics about other peoples fans, and the closest one doesn't apply to my car since it's a 2008 model. Checked subaru for a recall for my car relating to that, but there was only one 1. Cold temperature emissions change, and 2. Brake line waxing to prevent corrosion. I should do both before winter hits in Michigan. Duhh. Thanks in advance for everyone's help, based on a lot of reading you guys are more trustworthy than the dealership.

Have you unplugged that fan and checked the the wires there ?

Have you or can you plug the other fan in to that connector and see what happens ?

Where does that fan get its signal from ?

Here's the service manuals.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think I got it figured out now. Sorry I got the drivers side fan wrong thinking that was the sub fan when actually its the main fan. Since I put that part in I recently rechecked the obdii port and a new code is coming up P0118. So the coolant temperature sensor must have been going out or it wasn't coming up since the other temp sensor was bad. Hopefully when I get the new coolant temp sensor, the main fan won't be blasting at full speed. Btw using those green test connectors (at least for 2008 sohc cars they are on the passenger side, just pull the carpet a little at the top where it meets the glove box.) to test the fans really made me feel better about the fan motors and relays since they functioned like they should have when in test mode.

Archived