LegacyGT.com

Front license plate??? CO residents

scoobydo2

I moved from a state that didn't require a front plate. So, now that I have to mount a CO plate on the front, shouldn't there be a frame or something to bolt on? For the people in CO that's mounted a front plate, how did you do it? It seems odd to drive self tapping screws into the front bumper.

there is no bracket :(...just make the holes in the front bumper as stated above. I used a frame around the plate...."you just got beat by a wagon", to help stabilize it. I also have a clear bra on underneith to help protect the bumper from the plate as it may move due to wind at highway speeds.

Thanks, I see the pilot holes on the bumper. Is there a "special" license plate screw?

I'm surprised there isn't a mounting bracket. I would think the wind would make the plate move, since there isn't a bottom mounting point....

A month after I got my OBXT, Nevada passed a law that exempted cars from displaying a front plate if the manufacturer had made no provision for a front plate. I interpret that to mean "no frame." The two dimples -- and threading a screw right through the bumper plastic -- hardly seems like "a provision" to me...but there it is. (They were not thinking of a Sube; undoubtedly they were thinking of a Legislative Countach or something...) Too bad the Miata also has had a front plate for some time...

Oh well, next car.

I was wondering myself as I just received my paperwork in the mail to go and get my plates. I went and checked out Autozone this weekend, and they have the screws you need, as well as frames, and mounting brackets. I took a look at the mounting brackets and was considering one, but if I'm screwing right into the bumper at just two contact points, I'm not sure I want the added weight of the bracket (one was a bit bulky). I also took a look at some pix on this site and it looks like the majority of the people out there just have the two screws with the plate/frame combo. I think that's the way I'm gonna go.

Pep Boys had mounting brackets with 1 inch long self-tapping screws. I'm sure our bumpers aren't an inch thick... and I figure there's a metal beam right behind.

So, for those who've used 2 self-tapping screws for their plates, what was the size of the screws. I bought some #10 1/2" screws, but I think they're too thin (need washers or the license plate slots would just pop out).

Anyone try extending L-brackets or some other brackets from underneath or something? Seems a shame to tap into the bumper... :(

I just bought 1/4 x 1" self tapping at Checkers, and they worked just fine. The self tapping screwsd don't go in as easy as you think they do, which is a bit assuring. You do have to apply some pressure when screwing them in. They came as a set of four, and included some square anchors that I was going to use if the screws went in too easy. Luckily, didn'thave to use them.

Hmmm. I didn't think 1" would work... Do you think it's just styrofoam behind the plastic bumper cover then? I felt around behind and there's a metal beam there (I was hoping for a place to attach L-brackets or something).

Thanks for your answer. I'll look for 1/4 x 1" as well. Wouldn't want the plates to come flying off at 60mph.

Although I hated to do it, the potential $200 fine and PITA to pay or challenge it made me just go ahead and slap the ugly plate on my pristine bumper. I bought a pack of #12 x 1/2" sheet metal screws (phillips pan head). I used 4 to secure the rear plate, and used the dealer's original screws from the rear to tap the fronts.

It was an odd feeling, screwing into the paint and plastic, but now that it's done, I'm relieved from worrying about a cop having a bad day or a quota to fill.

Many places in the US have front plate *height from roadway* laws, which makes their display from the windshield, thus, illegal and ticket-able.

Exactly how rigorously such laws (from simple presence of front plate to "height" of front plate) are enforced is spotty at best, and are often "targeted" towards certain "profile" vehicles and/or drivers.

A friend of mine was recently pulled-over in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, and given a 48-hour span to rectify her lack of front plate. She was required to bring her car in to the local PD, to verify permanent mounting of her front plate, or face a moving-violation ticket. The vehicle driven was a black late-model Sentra, with legal-tint (but still very dark) windows. At the time, the vehicle was driven by my friend, a young, mid-20s African-American female, along with her two African-American female friends, all of whom sported ethnic hair styles. I believe she was pulled-over from being "profiled," so does my buddy at work, a near-30 year-old, clean cut, white male, who has driven his late 90s Suburban w/o front plate, in the same area, for the past 3 years without so much as a blink from local enforcers.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

When I got pulled over for a tinted cover that I bought at my local checker store I did not have a front plate. He told me to get it on ASAP and then handed me a $100 ticket for the tinted covers :mad:

I am still waiting for the court date for it. I know I should have paid it but it really pisses me off that I bought the things and did not know they were illegal in colorado.

The cops in Boulder like to cruise parking lots and issue tickets for expired tags, expired emissions, missing front plates and rear plate covers.

Is that just a Boulder thing? How do cops know if your car has passed emissions? I was told that the round sticker inside the front window isn't required now. At least for Denver anyway...

Your right, the round white emissions sticker is gone. Instead, they just won't issue new registration without current emissions. Sorry, I got a little overzealous with my Boulder cop banging. I run with full plates and just a simple clear cover over the plates (which technically could get me a $125 ticket). I know many folks who run without a front plate, but still a couple have gotten tickets when parked on the hill. Not really worth it not I guess. At least we have cool mountains on our plates and it doesn't look bad.

CJ

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

Archived