LegacyGT.com

CEL on, Traction Control (OFF) light on, and Cruise control light flashing

I was driving my 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited earlier today and looked down at the dash and noticed the check engine light on, the traction control (OFF) light on, and the cruise control light flashing. I know the only way to 'really' know what is going on with my Legacy is to hook it up to a code reader. Which I will be doing first thing tomorrow once I borrow my friend's reader. I was just curious if this has happened to anyone in the past? If so, what was the problem that caused the lights to illuminate? I bought my car used earlier this year, ~80K Miles on the odometer. I have done only external mods (new wheels, new tires, new tpms, front bumper lip, grillcraft mesh grill). I read on another forum that the gas cap being loose could trigger these lights to turn on, but that was the first thing I checked regardless and it was on tight. Let me know... Very interested to hear if fellow Legacy owners have ran into this problem before. Thank you.

Somewhere around here there's an anecdote about how NA owners deal with CELs vs how turbo owners deal with CELs. :lol:

There's no generic answer as to what's wrong with it -- Cruise is supposed to flash when there's a CEL. It shuts cruise off in order to protect the engine from further damage.

If the CEL flashes, it's something serious and you should pull over and shut the car down immediately.

Because the traction control is also thrown in the mix, I'm gonna hazard a guess it's an ABS or wheel speed sensor related CEL. Have your wheel bearings been making noise lately?

Somewhere around here there's an anecdote about how NA owners deal with CELs vs how turbo owners deal with CELs. :lol:

There's no generic answer as to what's wrong with it -- Cruise is supposed to flash when there's a CEL. It shuts cruise off in order to protect the engine from further damage.

If the CEL flashes, it's something serious and you should pull over and shut the car down immediately.

Because the traction control is also thrown in the mix, I'm gonna hazard a guess it's an ABS or wheel speed sensor related CEL. Have your wheel bearings been making noise lately?

Thank you for responding. When I first noticed the lights on, I was on a back road alone and no noticeable noises were being produced, no noise being made from the wheel bearings. I pulled over, popped the hood and took a quick glance to see if anything was unplugged or looked wrong, but nothing. I'm hoping it is a quick fix. I leave for school in less than ten days and need to have this car there with me. I will post an update after I hook it up to the code reader.

Plugged in the code reader earlier this afternoon, and got the code: P0028

I then looked up the code on google and was directed to this link:

http://engine-codes.com/p0028_subaru.html

I am going to bring it to my "go-to" shop in my hometown tomorrow morning first thing to get this fixed, along with some other little things that need to be done on the Legacy. Since the problem could be a number of things... I will keep everyone updated to what it turns out to be. Thank you.

Plugged in the code reader earlier this afternoon, and got the code: P0028

I then looked up the code on google and was directed to this link:

http://engine-codes.com/p0028_subaru.html

I am going to bring it to my "go-to" shop in my hometown tomorrow morning first thing to get this fixed, along with some other little things that need to be done on the Legacy. Since the problem could be a number of things... I will keep everyone updated to what it turns out to be. Thank you.

When was the last time you changed your oil?

Archived