LegacyGT.com

Is this oil cooler still good?

In the middle of a rebuild, originally grabbed a 11mm oil pump and installed on my new short block. After some research I ended up deciding to go with a 10mm. So, we pulled the two before assembling the engine.

Not sure how it happened, but the one we pulled off the engine has some nicks on it. It must have been when pulling the seal off the pump but I'm shocked this could happen. I was hoping to sell the 11mm pump but not sure I can anymore. Is this shot or still okay to install on a motor?

rsz_img_1744.thumb.jpg.bef869c86f603e62dfc1e54c0cdb4817.jpg

I wouldn't risk a new engine rebuild for the cost of a new oil pump vs one that has obvious nicks on it. Maybe it would work fine but how much could a person save buying yours vs buying s new one?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Furthermore, at regular RPMs (read: street driving) you'll likely be fine on an 11mm pump; no one has really proven conclusively whether or not it's the lit fuse on these time bombs.

I hear ya. The 11 would have probably been fine. I just went with the 10 for peace of mind. There have been some experienced people/vendors on this forum and others who have expressed concern that, maybe, it could cause issues on a single AVCS setup. Again, probably would have been okay but decided the 10 was a better choice for me.

I'd probably sell this for $50 or $60 if it would still work reliably for someone. If the consensus is that it is junk, than I'll just toss it and accept the loss of a $140 part as lesson learned.

I hear ya. The 11 would have probably been fine. I just went with the 10 for peace of mind. There have been some experienced people/vendors on this forum and others who have expressed concern that, maybe, it could cause issues on a single AVCS setup. Again, probably would have been okay but decided the 10 was a better choice for me.

I'd probably sell this for $50 or $60 if it would still work reliably for someone. If the consensus is that it is junk, than I'll just toss it and accept the loss of a $140 part as lesson learned.

Don't toss it just yet -- There are rebuild kits available (Such as on Flatironstuning.com) that might have that part included.

I take it you marred the mating face of it?

Don't toss it just yet -- There are rebuild kits available (Such as on Flatironstuning.com) that might have that part included.

I take it you marred the mating face of it?

I don't know exactly what happened to it, wasn't watching when my friend pulled the seal off the pump. That said he's pretty good at this and was delicate so I have no idea how it happened. I feel like a lot of force would be needed for that sort of damage unless that metal is REALLY soft or something. He and I are stumped! The side that mates to the block is fine, nice and smooth

I don't know exactly what happened to it, wasn't watching when my friend pulled the seal off the pump. That said he's pretty good at this and was delicate so I have no idea how it happened. I feel like a lot of force would be needed for that sort of damage unless that metal is REALLY soft or something. He and I are stumped! The side that mates to the block is fine, nice and smooth

Oh, so that's the outer seal side? Shouldn't be a problem, really, then.

Also -- what's up with your oil cooler? Because we're talking about a pump, here. . .

Archived