LegacyGT.com

I kinda think it's a joke how Subaru....

I kinda think it's a joke how Subaru is saying they're going after luxury companies like Audi, BMW, etc etc. How do they expect to be a luxury company if they're not including the luxury features. It's not like Subaru never made them, hell they even got a WR version of the Forester, with two tone leather seats, navigation, superior audio, etc etc. WTF!!!! How do they expect to go up against Luxury companies here in the US if they strip a lot of the luxury options out of the US spec cars.

Sorry about my rant, just blown away at how superior the JDM models look and all the features they have.

- Mike

forester.JPG.109e3ae3f95d0d607e898608c2e498fb.JPG

Mike, no need to apologise, I think everyone feels the same. Here in Australia we get MOST of the JDM model but a lot of gear is still left out. The only ppl to benefit from the WR and real STi models are those in Japan and a few lucky ones in Europe. Come On Subaru, lift your game......... Atleast give us the options to spec things UP!

They may have a problem reconcilling their overall strategy with some of the local market conditions. I would guess that pre-launch marketing pointed towards a certain price point for the new car, and certain extras weren't included. IIRC prior to prices being released here most people's top price limit was $30K. Anything over and they would go elsewhere.

You know, I could live with a little less power if that was the case, but the styling and features are more important to me. The features are things that I like, want, and expect to be able to have my car equipped with. If they can do it for one market, then what is the problem with equipping the cars in other markets with those options. - Mike

That might be true MSB but to have the options atleast available, gives a person a better choice on what they do and dont want. The option list for other German and Japanese car manufactures are pages long, Subaru offer usually one page and thats it.

When I bought my car the options list was much more than a page either - so maybe some more will come your way when they know what demand there is from the market.

[quote name='MSB']They may have a problem reconcilling their overall strategy with some of the local market conditions. I would guess that pre-launch marketing pointed towards a certain price point for the new car, and certain extras weren't included. IIRC prior to prices being released here most people's top price limit was $30K. Anything over and they would go elsewhere.[/quote] Maybe I'm different than the norm, but I'd pay $35K for the Leg if it came with a navi, HID, better audio, and maybe a choice for a two tone leather interior. Don't get me wrong, the '05 Leg is amazing, I'm just annoyed by Subaru not brings any of the features one expects to find in a $30K car over here. Well, I shouldn't complain too much - it's probably the only car in the price range that has a lot power and superior handling. I do plan on having things like the navi and better audio retro fitted when they come over here to the US. - Mike

I agree with MSB. Subaru sent the US a great car, for a reasonable price, and included some things with it, for this model year. Now, I wonder, had Subaru sent everything over, there would still be people going..."Oh, WTF!!! I don't get this, and this sucks, and I wanna change that...etc." At least we have a car that, in time, will be a nice car to mod, when the parts are available. Don't worry, tuners are all on the lookout, cause if they don't make parts, they don't make money...yada yada. So, in essence, be glad that there is such a car to talk about. I bet last years' model wouldn't have even been an option to some...but now, look...a turbo, more upscale, yada yada. Ever 'driven' a Subaru? People who have, understand. Also, I think that Subaru should pay attention to keeping the numbers low...so not every moron that thinks that they can drive a car of this caliber can buy one. I remember when the WRX first came out, in 2002 (US) and lots of people loved it, and bought it, modded it, and crashed it...why...cause they were young, and foolish, and did this, and put in that, and then, never changed the RE92's!!! Drive Safe, and learn to love every day. later, i.

[quote name='godwhomismike']If I get the Leg GT Limited, I will work the interior until it looks like this and has navi and all: (note: I like the stock guages)[/quote] AMEN. I also like the stock white on red gauges. I could do without Nav, but it might be a fun thing. I love the blue on black leather/Alcantara. If I have to re-upholster the interior, though, I might actually go with red, if I have a black car. If I end up with Regal Blue, I'd definitely do the blue interior. If subie doesn't bring us an STi, I might be forced to build one as a custom job.

I think that you're missing the point as to where Subaru is going. They have positioned themselves nicely as a PERFORMANCE car company with the WRX, STI, FXT, Baja Turbo and the GT/XT lineup. For $25K to $30K you can get a truly remarkable performance car that NOTHING can touch in that market segment. Sure, you can order a BMW with vinyl seats and wait three months for an MT. And when you get it you can look at the GT's flying by you. Or you can buy an a4 and watch both the bmw and GT fly by. Or, if you want luxury you can buy a an acura or a lexus and sacrafice performance (FWD). If you want "Luxury" for $25K to $30K you get one or the other but not both.

Thats what Im saying MSB and you have just proven my point, in Japan the option list is HUGE but everywhere else the options arent much. If Subaru dont ask, how do they know what the demand is, and with only certain ppl coming forward to voice their options well... nough said. If Subaru really wanted feedback they would be actively asking ppl for information on what they think. I see no questionaires on their website, this is where Subaru may have to go to get market response.

[quote name='agctr']Thats what Im saying MSB and you have just proven my point, in Japan the option list is HUGE [/quote] But initially in Japan the options list was crap as well - it's taken them almost a year to get the full list out. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. [quote]If Subaru really wanted feedback they would be actively asking ppl for information on what they think.[/quote] Every company does marketing, but have you ever been asked for your views, apart from airlines I've never taken part in a marketing exercise.

Hmm lets hope so MSB, I love the cars they produce for the JDM market they are so great but the ones SoAU order are just run of the mill. If the list was more GLOBAL meaning anyone from any country could order and SPEC Up, Im sure on the economies of scale would work in Subaru's favor. But then again, its always easier looking from the outside in. But thanks for your views MSB, how is yr car going ?

Meh... I can do without the gee-whizz gadgets that will look outdated after the car is 4 years old anyway. I'd rather take a basic option list for a price under $30k, I can upgrade later with aftermarket if I want something, it will be cheaper anyway.

[quote name='agctr']But thanks for your views MSB, how is yr car going ?[/quote] Almost at 11K km, and only problems have been a replaced intake sensor and the brake discs needed a bit of clean up. I've looked on the net and found nothing mcuh, in Oz is there much of a market for in-car nav systems - most things i've seen are garmin GPS packages, but not much from Panasonic, Alpine etc.

actually i think the US Subaru group is too conservative on future planning and marketing stuffs... if they follow how Mazda goes these days, i think the Subaru we sit in now will be much much much better...

I think Subaru is going about this luxury thing all wrong. Truth be told, with the way thet played their cards in the past, I dont know if the public will ever regard a Subaru as luxury. Another interesting angle to take would be what made Subaru cool again- cheap speed. With the introduction of the WRX, Subaru showed that they can make fast cars for cheap prices, and they have continued the trend with the Forrester and the Legacy. In my mind, if Subaru wants to make a splash, they need to have the highest performing cars in the segment, and at the same price as the competition. I think there is a rather large group of people out there who want a family sedan that reminds them of the sports car they once owned, and they cant afford a BMW. I say forget luxury, cheap speed is the way Subaru is going to make a splash in the future.

Maybe they're slowly getting the public to think about Subaru as a luxury brand. They can't just show up one day with a $40,000+ luxury Subaru and expect people to buy it. Even $30,000 for a Suburu is quite shocking for the buying public used to the older Subarus. It is luxurious compared to the older models. So maybe Subaru will release higher-spec and higher priced cars in the future. Look at Lexus, one of their first cars was a rebadged Camry- that ES250 and it definetly wasn't anywhere near the price or had the goodies that today's Lexus cars have. The new Legacy is a good start. So it can only get better from here.

For my money, Subaru has done a pretty good job in positionning the new Legacy. Subary is not a luxury brand and maybe never will be. However, the luxury brands soak you for everything. Want metalic paint on your BMW 3 series - ka ching... Want electric seats - ka ching... Want a stereo that is better than the standard crap - ka ching... Want a six cd-changer (in the trunk) - ka ching... Want realiabilty and curteous servcie in your Bimmer - sorry, those are not available. Want reliability and decent reasale in your Audi - sorry, those are not available. Want the Mark Levinson or sunroof in your Lexus RX 330 - you need to get a full option package with a lot of other crap you don't want - ka ching... I think of Subaru as good quality, good engineeering, reasonnable luxury, reliable and good resale - along with very spirited performance and handling - with the additional benefits of a very practical wagon to carry all the other stuff that you were able to buy with the money you saved from not indulging in an equivalent BMW or Audi.

MSB, they have a system that they have just relased here which is a portable type palm pilot unit that sells for US400 AUD900 which is great because u can move it from car to car. Its called NAVMAN. They have another system called NAVCAR which is put out by Panasonic I think but there are a lot of aftermarket options. I think anything with a decent screen is coming to cost plenty of BLING.

Archived