LegacyGT.com

Fuel Pump too?

I've got a 1997 L 2.2 Auto and I've finally chased down an occasional hard start issue to a fuel issue after testing the pressure in the system.

When I run it with the vac hose on the pressure reg. I get 26-27 PSI and with it off 37-38 PSI. I then close off the return line for a sec and the pressure climbs quickly to 50+ PSI. I then put a hand vac pump on the pressure reg and when I applied vac fuel pressure dropped down to 26-27 PSI and when vac was released it went up to 37-38 PSI.

I know spec pressure is 26-32 PSI and according to Haynes with that trouble shooting procedure that it tells me the fuel pressure reg. needs to be replaced but think I should do the pump too since it's reading on the low side of spec? Was going to check pressure after I get the pressure reg from Amazon but don't want to wait on the pump shipping later too.

Was thinking Bosch on both parts.

Options on it all?

Pressure regulator is working perfectly fine. According to Mitchell on Demand, and my professional experience, your fuel pressures are right on the money. The pressure regulator is suppose to increase fuel pressure according to vacuum (engine load).

Now i had a hard start issue a while ago and it was the fuel pump not kicking on right away.

Keep that pressure tester on and see how fast the pressure builds while cranking....

Pinching the return line gives nowhere for the fuel to go, hence pressure spike. Only time to replace the regulator is if you pull the vacuum hose and have fuel spray out the vacuum port, which does happen.... More so on GM vehicles... very rarely do i see regulators stick internally.

I dont know what Haynes says, I've always had access to Mitchell on Demand or Alldata, which is word for word from the factory repair manuals. The couple times i looked in Haynes, it wasnt very accurate. You could try your local library. The libraries in my area carry the factory service manuals.

Archived