LegacyGT.com

2.5i timing belt failure

2005 2.5i limited 4EAT with 227k

I had the timing belt and hardware replaced by subaru at 201k. My car has been driving perfectly and I have had zero problems since I bought it. On my way to work the ac and powersteering went out and I had noise from the engine compartment. I was traveling at about 30 mph. I quickly pulled off onto a side street and mid turn the motor cut out. When I opened the hood i was missing my ac belt and the other drive belt was hanging off. I was able to get the powersteering/alternator belt back on and i tried starting it but the only sound i got was the starter turning but without any compression in the cylinders. The ac belt wore a notch into the timing belt cover and i was able to tell that there is still tension in the belt. I had it towed to a local repair shop and they pretty much just told me that it wouldnt start and didnt have any compression. I am currently getting it towed back to my house but I am unsure how i should procced with my current situation. The car currently needs new tires in about 10k and a new axel on the front passenger side. Other than that the car is in pretty good shape. I would love to be able to keep this car as it is great in the michigan winters but I dont know what action I should take.

I know when subaru did my timing belt, they didn't touch the idler pulleys. Have your idler pulleys ever been replaced? I don't know if a bad pulley could cause what you experienced.

First thing you need to check is the timing marks on all the pulleys when the crank gear is aligned. If the other marks don't align, then the belt has skipped or has snapped. If the belt is still good, try to realign the timing marks on the pulleys and make sure the belt tensioner is still functional.

If the belt has skipped several teethes or has snapped, then you have some bent valves, and you'll will have to pull the heads off and have the valves replaced.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 1 month later...
I have been getting some things apart but I have not been able to devote much time to it yet. I need to get the socket to get the crank pulley off. The timing belt did not break but the crank pulley separated and is no longer in line with the alternator/power steering/AC. Upon checking the spark plugs there was a small amount of oil that poured out of the tube on cylinder 1 and the rest of the spark plug tubes also contained oil. The timing belt was frayed on the edge that was closest to the belts. I will get the proper socket and get the crank pulley off and line up the timing marks next. Considering the nature of whats going on i'm thinking of having the entire engine rebuilt since it has so many miles. Would it be best to get my motor rebuilt or to get a remanufactured one instead? I would prefer to keep the original motor in the car if i can.

Sounds like your crank pulley failed and got the ac belt to get sandwiched in between the crank pulley and timing belt cover, which in turned would make the tb skips teeth :(.

Yeah, as other mentioned, check timing and do a leakdown test maybe. Go from there.

Archived