LegacyGT.com

Unwanted front-end action

ping

Hello all: A long time lurker, and recent Soob-noob, I have my first suspension question before I have anything useful to contribue....

I have some unpleasantness in my month-old LGT (5sp wagon):

While taking corners on rippley/bumpy pavement I feel a 'looseness' in the steering wheel - it kind of weights and unweights and trembles over imperfections. The body simply doesnt feel 'tight'.

The car is totally stock, soft springs, RE92s and all. I made some lame attempts at searching for said behavior here, but I realize my description may be somewhat non-mainstream:redface: .

On a positive note, the rest of the car is delightful and amusing, from the mis-firing Geo Metro sound track to the explosive torque and traction out of corners. I like.

Any thoughts from the collective consciousness?

Thanks

Ping

From the description you've provided it really sounds like you're describing the rattle/clunk inherent in all Legacys from at least 2nd generation on.

When you go over a raised piece of road, e.g., segment between two streets where the street you're turning into is slightly higher than the street you're turning off, or, you hit a section of road that is bumpy while turning left or right, do you get the noise/sense the looseness in the steering wheel for a bit then it goes away? If so, you have the steering column clunk that I initially mentioned.

There was a "fix" on this for 2nd and 3rd gen Legacys but was supposedly dialed-out in the 4th gens. If this is what you have, then it's nothing to worry about and is truly "normal", albeit disconcerting and frustrating, behavior. If it continues to bother you, figure out how to replicate it and then take it to your dealer and demonstrate it.

If it doesn't seem to be related to the steering column itself (noise and feel), then by all means, get it checked out as anything else I could think of would not be normal behavior.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks all !

I am located in San Diego, CA. Streets are ok, but the boss says I 'cannot do anything to make the ride bumpy'; so springs are out for now.

I will try the air pressure trick.

I will also try to figure out an easily repeatable set of conditions to replicate the shake to the shop, but I fear the 'they all like that' blowoff.

Thanks again.

Ping.

What you describe sounds much to me like the problem with the USDM 16mm rsb. Hitting a bumb or expansion joint in a freeway interchange or on-ramp always gave me the vague steering feeling as the rear end "fell off" when weight transfered away from the inside front (of the turn) and to the outside rear due to the weak rear sway. This was as joined by a general "tetter-totter" feeleing until the chassis settled again. I recently changed to the JDM 20mm rsb and this has fixed 85% of the problem without any change to the ride quality. The car feels much more planted in corners with much less of the vague feeling, better turn-in as well. For $200 and about an hour of your time to install, I feel this is a good place to start, it was for me. Unless that is, you feel that there is a real problem with your car like alignment or some other faulty suspension component, then talk to your dealer.

Archived