LegacyGT.com

98 4EAT -> 5MT swap, Turn signals just went out

Hey guys. Haven't been around a whole lot lately because I'm building a friend's car with him. Not a lot of time to work on my own (or even sleep for that matter). Anyway, I had a friend help me with my 5MT swap a few months back. Turn signals stopped working then and we connected the TCM to the factory 4EAT harness and they worked. Now they crapped out on me again and I'm very reluctant to go figure out what the hell the deal is. Can anyone tell me what causes them to go out that I haven't though of? My list of stuff to check is:

- Fuses (duh)

- Hazard switch (but hazards work, so unless the pin 2 and 7 got disconnected inside the switch this isn't it).

- TCM wiring

- Center console wiring around the shifter (need to crimp those anyway).

- ECU wiring in the footwell of passenger's side (also need to crimp those wires, so might as well check).

- Last but not least, the turn signal module itself and wiring on the steering column.

Anything I'm missing here? There are a lot of wires that are just twisted together so I'm going to go get some crimps and make em good looking. Any other wires?

ALSO: can anyone link me to some info about this tranny swap? I've come across hundreds of threads everywhere about people wanting to do it, a few threads about people doing it, and a couple good write ups, but I've never seen anything about wiring as it applies to putting this tranny into a car with this wiring harness. There's info on ghetto rigging the factory 4EAT harness to run the 5MT tranny, which is where I'm at now, but I strive to make the harness match the 5MT harness. This is mostly because I got the 5MT ECU and pulled the engine out of said donor car, so I want to make sure everything matches before I do the motor swap too. A vacuum line diagram would also be helpful too, other than the one under the hood for emissions. I'm throwing misfire codes and evap codes like a mofo, and my idle's off sometimes, so I think I have a leaky line.

tl;dr, hazards work, turn signals don't, what to check? Also need full wiring diagrams for 97 5MT legacy outback and 98 4EAT legacy outback.

Thanks guys. Goo to be back! :spin:

Archived