LegacyGT.com

what block

So I know this is a dumb question most likely. My 05 block took a dump. Rod knock on cyl 1 sounds like 20 midgets with hammers beating away at the engine. I've been searching but want to verify some info.

Ive been looking into getting a 257 block but im not certain what year. I priced a 257d which runs according to local dealer from 08-14. Got quoted 1700 for the engine.

Also it is my understanding that I should use the gaskets for the 255 not 257. Other than that this should be straigh forward short block. Am I missing anything

Ive also gotten conflicting info on replacing the oil cooler or not. Im pretty certain all the oil screens and oil cooler should be replaced.

Doesn't matter what you order, you'll be getting a 1010AC030, which is the current EJ257 with black nitrided crank. It's super pretty.

Yes, get the gasket set for your year car. PN ends in 720, IIRC.

See my Engine Rebuild Shopping List!

If you've got debris in your oil, you should replace the oil cooler. So unless you turbo has taken a shit, you should be OK, but, it's recommended to replace it. Do you really want your new block to fail (and possibly take the heads with it) because you didn't want to spend another $200?

When you order a EL257 you get the most current one they are building. Check Heuberger, a Vendor on here for pricing or FredBeans another vendor.

Get the gasket set for your year car.

read the click here link in my sig.

Oh yea, get a new oil cooler.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When you order a EL257 you get the most current one they are building. Check Heuberger, a Vendor on here for pricing or FredBeans another vendor.

Get the gasket set for your year car.

read the click here link in my sig.

Oh yea, get a new oil cooler.

This.

Should still be $1645, plus ~$235ish for the gasket set and ~$200 shipped anywhere CONUS. I paid $2081 to my door -

Doesn't matter what you order, you'll be getting a 1010AC030, which is the current EJ257 with black nitrided crank. It's super pretty.

Yes, get the gasket set for your year car. PN ends in 720, IIRC.

See my Engine Rebuild Shopping List!

If you've got debris in your oil, you should replace the oil cooler. So unless you turbo has taken a shit, you should be OK, but, it's recommended to replace it. Do you really want your new block to fail (and possibly take the heads with it) because you didn't want to spend another $200?

Did you get one recently with a nitrided crank? I ordered one last month frmo heuberger and got the "heat treated" crank. a quick search I did comes up with several threads that say nitrited is no longer available

Did you get one recently with a nitrided crank? I ordered one last month frmo heuberger and got the "heat treated" crank. a quick search I did comes up with several threads that say nitrited is no longer available

I'm fairly certain the nitrided crank is black(ish). The crank in my block is black and shiny, so, I believe that's it.

Archived