LegacyGT.com

Spark Plugs

Good morning to all! A couple weeks back had a new short block and the works put in, and Subaru installed oem plugs at .40 gap. Had the car tuned 2 weeks ago and made great power for a mustang dyno ( 300/305 ) and the tuner said the spark could have been blowing out at upper rpms and to switch them out for 1 step colder plugs! He thought that this would free a little more power. Wanted to know thoughts on this. I know they saying is for every 100 hp go a step colder, just wanted to know if it made a noticeable difference. Thanks guys

The stock plugs gapped correctly at .032" will work fine.

I chose to go one step colder years ago because the plugs are cheaper then the stock plugs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Going colder is pretty subjective, the general rule is to do what your tuner advises. When I was tuned @ Infamous Performance I was told not to get colder plugs. Going colder does serve it's purpose in preventing pre-detonation wich in turn can cause heating issues, but I think it depends on fuel and power levels.

Mike like to keep things stock. I have no problem modifing things. Yes the stock plug's will work fine.

For my money and what little back ground I have in 35psi of boost on the 1.6L Civic, I have no problem going with a colder plug. I have talked with the Tech's at NGK.

My wagon has been on one step colder since Oct 06.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

...For my money and what little back ground I have in 35psi of boost on the 1.6L Civic, I have no problem going with a colder plug. I have talked with the Tech's at NGK.

My wagon has been on one step colder since Oct 06.

I wasn't trying to challenge you Max, I'm sure you have more background in modified engine than I. Just adding my .02 about the subjectivity about going colder.

I wasn't trying to challenge you Max, I'm sure you have more background in modified engine than I. Just adding my .02 about the subjectivity about going colder.

All's fine, I'm just cheap, I get my plug's from FB's and the cold ones are cheaper and work fine. why not...

Hard to say, it's all in the tune. Even back when it was first done on Cobb stage 1, there was no difference that I can remember.

Archived