LegacyGT.com

What to do First

So I just picked up a bone stock 2005 LGT LMTD 5MT 81xxx miles

This is my first turboed car and i would like some suggestions on what mods i should do first. I was thinking k&n intake, sti radiator, blow off valve, catless up pip & down pipe, brembo brakes, and save up for a new turbo. i know i would need a tune but not sure where i should do it in this whole process. I'm a noob to this so any criticism is welcomed. Thanks.

I would start with a downpipe, an accessport and a good etune. Those 3 mods are gonna get you the most power for the investment. After that I guess depends on your budget and if nothing else breaks or wears out during this time period. Also you have an 05 so you need to replace the uppipe and remove the banjo bolts so you dont need a turbo/engine sooner than you think

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

read the stickies

skip the intake

UP/DP tune, suspension components

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

I would start with a downpipe, an accessport and a good etune. Those 3 mods are gonna get you the most power for the investment. After that I guess depends on your budget and if nothing else breaks or wears out during this time period. Also you have an 05 so you need to replace the uppipe and remove the banjo bolts so you dont need a turbo/engine sooner than you think

Thanks for the reply, ive heard mixed reviews about the banjo bolt removal. A subaru tech told me to not take it off if i change my oil regularly (every 2500 miles synthetic) and that i should be fine. Then i've heard the other side like your suggesting, and also that there's actually 2 that i would need to take off. Do you know if you do take it off, if there's a replacement that you would need to put or if leaving it without it is fine? :confused:

Stage one ecu tune to remove the factory map. Leave the engine stock and stay happy. It's a ten year old turbo charged car. I would get it up to spec maintenance wise. The timing belt is over ten years old and probably worth a look. I would pull the downpipe and check the turbo for shaft play. Check transmission and dif fluids make sure they are clean that is a 90k service item. Make sure all accessory belts and pulleys are in good shape. Also a catless Uppipe with the 2.2kohm resistor to eliminate the egt probe.

Start with suspension. A good set of struts and springs, Lower control arm bushings, and a rear sway bar go along way.

Stage one ecu tune to remove the factory map. Leave the engine stock and stay happy. It's a ten year old turbo charged car. I would get it up to spec maintenance wise. The timing belt is over ten years old and probably worth a look. I would pull the downpipe and check the turbo for shaft play. Check transmission and dif fluids make sure they are clean that is a 90k service item. Make sure all accessory belts and pulleys are in good shape.

Start with suspension. A good set of struts and springs, Lower control arm bushings, and a rear sway bar go along way.

.:whore:

Thanks for the reply, ive heard mixed reviews about the banjo bolt removal. A subaru tech told me to not take it off if i change my oil regularly (every 2500 miles synthetic) and that i should be fine. Then i've heard the other side like your suggesting, and also that there's actually 2 that i would need to take off. Do you know if you do take it off, if there's a replacement that you would need to put or if leaving it without it is fine? :confused:

Either clean them and have to continue cleaning them or remove them entirely and be worry free...up to you. Do some searching all of this has been covered plenty of times

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

What's your budget right now? That will determine what you should take on! Here are some basics to consider...

Suspension:

Bigger Front and Rear sway bars.

AVO rear sway bar bracket.

Moog end links.

Power:

Up pipe (non catted)

Down Pipe

Stage 2 tune

TMIC - bulletproof the stocker or buy a aftermarket one

Stage 2 Tune

definitely a catless up so it doesn't disintegrate and eat your turbo. if you're set on getting a DP too, that'd be the time for a tune.

.:whore:

Stage one ecu tune to remove the factory map. Leave the engine stock and stay happy. It's a ten year old turbo charged car. I would get it up to spec maintenance wise. The timing belt is over ten years old and probably worth a look. I would pull the downpipe and check the turbo for shaft play. Check transmission and dif fluids make sure they are clean that is a 90k service item. Make sure all accessory belts and pulleys are in good shape. Also a catless Uppipe with the 2.2kohm resistor to eliminate the egt probe.

So I just picked up a bone stock 2005 LGT LMTD 5MT 81xxx miles

This is my first turboed car and i would like some suggestions on what mods i should do first. I was thinking k&n intake, sti radiator, blow off valve, catless up pip & down pipe, brembo brakes, and save up for a new turbo. i know i would need a tune but not sure where i should do it in this whole process. I'm a noob to this so any criticism is welcomed. Thanks.

*cracks knuckles* Well, when you put it like that..

*cracks knuckles* Well, when you put it like that..

hahaha:lol: love the emphasis on that MrTris but i could use constructive criticism lol. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies. Getting rid of the banjo bolt will be first on my list along with suspension. Then we'll get the ball rolling with the up/dp and tune.

i'd recommend doing the knowledge mod. all the questions you asked are answered in stickies on this forum. i've spent over a year planning mods and installing things in phases (when I'm ready). Gex nailed it, make sure the car is in proper condition then go from there.

Lol blow off valve...

First thing you buy is an access port. You'll get power just by loading stage 1 onto your car. Just about everything you bolt on needs to be tuned for. The acessport takes care of that. Save for a turbo and up pipe and maybe a silicone turbo inlet so when the turbo goes and it will you can do all that at once.

Skip the intake skip the sti rad

By the way you need a recirculation valve. If you put a blow off valve on you have to tune for it and there's no reason for that. No gain but if you want to replace your stock recirculation valve because it's bleeding boost just make sure what ever you buy has a recirculation option

Archived