LegacyGT.com

You can order BUT!

Cumberland

The Clarksville dealership told me I could order a new 2015 Legacy with Eyesight but would NOT be able to tell me what my trade in was worth until the new car ARRIVED. Why would I put a deposit down and order a new car not knowing what they are allowing me on trade??? IS THIS TYPICAL???? Sound stupid to me!

If it takes 2-3 months, your car will lose some value in that time period plus any condition changes. That being said they should be able estimate the future trade in value.

You might want to try selling it privately (unless you don't trust your current car). Once you order it, you be given a date. Lately when I have sold used cars, it has taken me 3-4 weeks to sell them. You can start getting it ready to sell, price it appropriately, and try to time selling it 5-6 weeks out and make the just before the delivery date part of the sale condition. You would the have trade in option to fall back on.

dgoodhue has it on point. Not only are you going to know what you want for the car, but you will also get more for it, with the fall-back of a trade in. If you want to skip the trade in all together, then you can sell it after you sign and get the new car, but you'll likely need some cash in hand to sign for the new car if you opt out of the trade-in.

They don't want to tell you what they'll pay and then have you shop around for a better deal. They want to wait until that shiny new car is there on the lot calling to you so you'll take their crap offer when the time comes. Could they appraise it now and tell you what they'll pay? Yes. Do they want to? No. They think the margins are better the other way. You could threaten to order with another dealership, which may or may not sway them. Orders are not their first priority though. They want to sell current stock. Yes, they'll take your order so that they can sell you a car, but they won't be jumping through hoops for your sale.

Not a surprising response at all.

They are definitely not going to give you anything useful or concrete until that car is ready for you sign the paperwork on, I doubt any dealer would. If your car qualifies for the guaranteed trade in then that may be another story. Car dealers exist to make money off you don't ever forget that as the salesman smiles away at you.

Archived