LegacyGT.com

Coilover/suspension recommendations

Eliott

I have an 06 gt and just got 18x9 wheels with a 35 offset and 235/40/18 tires. I rolled my rear fenders with a slight pull so I don't rub at all. I would like to go about an inch or so lower and make my wheels flush. I've been looking around but haven't seen anything on what I'm looking for. Right now they stick out of the fenders pretty far, mexi flush, so what coilovers or suspension upgrades would bring them in the wheel well a little more? I'd like to not mess around with camber if I can avoid it. I've been leaning towards tein flex. If anyone has ideas or info I'd like some input.

I read somewhere that coilovers could clear up some room that the stock struts take up and that my size wheels will look strange because of how far out they are. I don't want to go super low or be stanced at all. But I guess I'll have to dabble at a little camber then. I was recommended the whiteline camber kit and camber bolts but I wanted to explore other options and get other input.

Coilovers are smaller in size than the stock macpherson struts. Therefore, they leave more room to have more backspacing on your wheel. But the backspacing on your wheels is determined by its offset. When you are shopping for wheels, coilovers give you the ability to buy a higher offset wheel than you would be able to otherwise. But if you already own the wheels, you're not changing the offset. Camber is the only way to tuck a wheel/tire that don't fit.

Camber bolts and the Whiteline kit are fine camber adjustments to dial it in, offering no more than about a total of 3 degrees of travel or less. If you need serious camber, you need adjustable top hats.

Coilovers are smaller in size than the stock macpherson struts. Therefore, they leave more room to have more backspacing on your wheel. But the backspacing on your wheels is determined by its offset. When you are shopping for wheels, coilovers give you the ability to buy a higher offset wheel than you would be able to otherwise. But if you already own the wheels, you're not changing the offset. Camber is the only way to tuck a wheel/tire that don't fit.

Camber bolts and the Whiteline kit are fine camber adjustments to dial it in, offering no more than about a total of 3 degrees of travel or less. If you need serious camber, you need adjustable top hats.

Dont forget adjustable rear arms:

http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec-adjustable-lateral-camber-arms-93-07-subaru-impreza

http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec-rear-adjustable-camber-arms-2012-brz-fr-s-2008-impreza

http://www.mooresport.com/indexe.php/products/suspension/impreza-rear-lateral-links

etc

just to clear things up. none of those posted will fit lgt.

these are the only arms that will fit.

http://www.whitelinesuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KTA124&PARTNER=gbase&gclid=CLmYsb-Ezb8CFVJefgodX2EAig

for the op.

to pull the wheels in so its more flush you will need to run camber up front. most coil overs have camber plates up top, but if they don't, you can run aftermarket camber bolts which will give around -.5 to -1.0 degrees up front. camber plates can give up to -3 +.

lgt has no rear camber adjustment stock, only toe, so the whiteline link about is the rear toe/camber arms kit. whiteline makes a rear camber bushing, but needs to be pressed in and not as much adjustment as the whole arms.

but like i said above. only way to not make it "mexiflush" and pull the wheel in is either 1, getting different wheels with a higher offset or 2, running camber.

I was worried about the day where our cars have finally depreciated enough that people are spending more on wheels than the car is worth.

OP: Buy wheels that fit. Our cars were never meant to end up like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/NJ240sxMan/13x7-13x8-Day-002.jpg

I was worried about the day where our cars have finally depreciated enough that people are spending more on wheels than the car is worth.

OP: Buy wheels that fit. Our cars were never meant to end up like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/NJ240sxMan/13x7-13x8-Day-002.jpg

Sigh.. another fail in New Jersey.

OP, you're going to need camber adjustment regardless, but the amount of camber will also depend on your wheel offset. I picked up WL Com-C top hats and a rear camber adjustment kit (KCA399). I'm not running anything extreme(-2*F/-1.5*R), but those bits did give enough range for me to clear my fenders without issues.

This is just my opinion, but in my experience you should choose a set of wheels that fit your desired build, NEVER build a car around a set of wheels. That being said, if you aren't looking for the stance'd/hellafrush look, it may be easier for you to cut your losses and switch to a different, less aggressive wheel choice.

If you do want to fit them you may want to run the WL lateral links AND camber bushings for the rear, which will make the wheel fit with just a roll, and not requiring you to pull the fender at all.

The WL adjustable lateral links are excellent, but keep in mind that the moment of rotation for camber is above the axle-line, while the WL adjustable camber bushings are AT the moment. In other words, adding -1 with the bushing vs -1 with the links will NOT locate the wheel in the same place. The links will essentially push the bottom of the wheel away from the car, while the bushings will pull the top of the wheel towards the car, make sense? The movement is about 1/3:2/3, so for example, if you use the links to add enough camber to bring the top of the wheel into the fender 1cm, the bottom of the wheel moves out 2cm, i.e. diminishing returns for people looking for "fitment."

The front shouldn't be too tough but I think you'll definitely need camber plates to fit those wheels.

Thank you for all the input and recommendations but if you see wheels you love it's hard to ignore it and settle. There's a fender flare thread that's gaining alot of interest so I'm thinking about going that route. Throw on some flare and cut back some fender and lower it. That should be able to give me more clearance with less camber.

Archived