LegacyGT.com

Lowering 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited

CoopNY

I purchased a 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited about 5 months ago to be able to safely drive from school to the hospital in any weather for my chemotherapy treatments. I have only owned one vehicle before the Legacy, a 1992 GMC Typhoon that has no airbags and is rough in the winter. I have 17" Enkei Performance M52 Wheels on the Legacy right now for my summer wheels (I live in Upstate NY). The wheel gap is too large for my liking. I would like to lower the car an inch or two inches, also not looking to spend more than $500... Could anyone recommend lowering springs that would fit my needs? I am new to this forum and look forward to learning lots and helping in anyway I can. Thank you - Coop

Swift springs you can pick them up for $300 or so drops the front 1.5 inches and the rear 1 inch there high quality springs there made more for suspension then they are for lowering the car it's what I plan on running in the near future

• 4 weeks later...
I purchased a 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited about 5 months ago to be able to safely drive from school to the hospital in any weather for my chemotherapy treatments. I have only owned one vehicle before the Legacy, a 1992 GMC Typhoon that has no airbags and is rough in the winter. I have 17" Enkei Performance M52 Wheels on the Legacy right now for my summer wheels (I live in Upstate NY). The wheel gap is too large for my liking. I would like to lower the car an inch or two inches, also not looking to spend more than $500... Could anyone recommend lowering springs that would fit my needs? I am new to this forum and look forward to learning lots and helping in anyway I can. Thank you - Coop

Sorry about having to do Chemo treatments. You say upstate which makes me think either Albany or Syracuse Area. If you are in the Syracuse area I am curious which springs you go with because i am about to pull the tigger on a set myself.

Less than $500? Not going to happen. If you get any sort of lowering springs, they will undoubtedly be stiffer and REQUIRE stiffer dampers to go with them. Otherwise, you will destroy the stock dampers and need new ones anyway. You could get cheap coilovers for a bit more, but they'll ride like shit as everyone has already universally stated here, but if you don't care about your ride quality or stability and just want to slam it, go right ahead. My recommendation to you is to not lower the car unless you do it properly.

<$500 new isn't going to happen, since lowering springs will require an aftermarket damper like Koni Yellow Sports (kind of a gold standard here). Springs that will give ~1" drop are Epic/Eibachs, which can be found here; ~1.5" = H&R sport springs; and ~2" drop = Swift springs.

Check out the classifieds section for the 4th gen (05-09), and you may be able to find a used set that's already been put together for you.

Good luck on your chemo.

Thank you to everyone that has responded. I still have not purchased lowering springs, I live and go to school in Upstate New York, so this has influenced my decision heavily. The salt that gets put down on the roads during Winter does nothing but damage to vehicles. So much so that I have 17" Enkei M52 Performance Series wheels on the Legacy as my Summer wheels, and I plan on putting the 17" stock wheels back on sometime late Fall. I have recently attached a front bumper lip to the Legacy and although it is not lowered, to the naked eye it seems to create the illusion of being lowered. I'm happy because I was on the fence with purchasing Lowering Springs... and I can justify not buying them because I live in an area where it snows massive amounts. I'll leave the job of plowing the streets for the actual plows. Also I appreciate the kind words regarding the chemotherapy... to those who care - I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in early September 2013. I have undergone multiple live saving surgeries and currently am in remission. Planning on returning to college at the end of this month. Again, thank you to all.

Thank you to everyone that has responded. I still have not purchased lowering springs, I live and go to school in Upstate New York, so this has influenced my decision heavily. The salt that gets put down on the roads during Winter does nothing but damage to vehicles. So much so that I have 17" Enkei M52 Performance Series wheels on the Legacy as my Summer wheels, and I plan on putting the 17" stock wheels back on sometime late Fall. I have recently attached a front bumper lip to the Legacy and although it is not lowered, to the naked eye it seems to create the illusion of being lowered. I'm happy because I was on the fence with purchasing Lowering Springs... and I can justify not buying them because I live in an area where it snows massive amounts. I'll leave the job of plowing the streets for the actual plows. Also I appreciate the kind words regarding the chemotherapy... to those who care - I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in early September 2013. I have undergone multiple live saving surgeries and currently am in remission. Planning on returning to college at the end of this month. Again, thank you to all.

For what its worth, I used to own a 2002 WRX on s-techs, and never had any issues with the snow in Syracuse. I did order H&R springs for my legacy, {which after seeing the above post for Eiback/epics, I might regret my decision}, but They should be on by next week, I can fill you in on the details if your interested.

Another route to consider, if you don't want to lower your car but still want to upgrade your suspension, is to just pick up a set of Koni Yellow Sports (strut inserts) and run them with the stock springs, which a lot of people do and swear by here. You won't be lowering the car (since snow clearance is an issue), and this combo will be a substantial improvement over the stock struts and allows for dampening adjustments (softer, firmer etc). It'll also be cheaper than $500 and opens up the possibility of safely adding lowering springs later on if you decide to go that route.

Anyhow, congrats on the remission and good luck in your fight against ALL.

For what its worth, I used to own a 2002 WRX on s-techs, and never had any issues with the snow in Syracuse. I did order H&R springs for my legacy, {which after seeing the above post for Eiback/epics, I might regret my decision}, but They should be on by next week, I can fill you in on the details if your interested.

Yes, please let me know how it turns out. I would love to see before and after photos if you have a chance. Thank you!

Another route to consider, if you don't want to lower your car but still want to upgrade your suspension, is to just pick up a set of Koni Yellow Sports (strut inserts) and run them with the stock springs, which a lot of people do and swear by here. You won't be lowering the car (since snow clearance is an issue), and this combo will be a substantial improvement over the stock struts and allows for dampening adjustments (softer, firmer etc). It'll also be cheaper than $500 and opens up the possibility of safely adding lowering springs later on if you decide to go that route.

Anyhow, congrats on the remission and good luck in your fight against ALL.

I have Koni's on my '92 GMC Typhoon and have never had any complaints about them, so that's definitely an option. My budget for mods on the Legacy is low at the moment, but when I have the opportunity to upgrade the suspension, I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

Archived