LegacyGT.com

completing shopping list for engine rebuild, couple questions

Hey there. recently I bought an 05 outback XT with blown turbo and most likely ruined motor. Plenty of metal flakes came out with the oil. The car has 176k miles so I've decided to just replace the shortblock regardless of what condition the existing one is in.

Plans for the car are Vf52 stage one for now, maybe stage 2 down the road. I don't want more than 300 hp. Not going for max power, just want something quick and reliable.

I have pretty much everything I need at this point, but two questions came up recently.

1) I pulled the radiator and its a mess. Probably best to replace it. Is it worth the 270ish for a mishimoto vs 235 for OE subaru or ~120ish for aftermarket stock replacement

2) Is it worth going with ARP head studs instead of reusing stock ones? I know they are fantastic but if I never push the car high enough to see their benefit, is it worth it?

So here's a list of the parts sitting in the basement ready to go in

OE 257 short block

OE gasket Kit

Vf52 Turbo, slightly used zero shaft play

OE Turbo Install Kit

Heads will be inspected/rebuilt

Gates Timing Belt kit with Water Pump

Catless Up Pipe

Killer B Oil pickup and Baffle

OE Extra S for Trans/Dif

OE oil pan

OE oil cooler

OE oil pump

Magnetic Drain Plug

Cobb AP V3 - will get tuned once car is running

Rotella T6 w/ Subaru Filter

NGK plugs

OE T Stat and Gasket

OE Air Filter

OE PCV

Slightly used OE Turbo inlet and TB hose

OE Coolant

Group N Motor Mounts.

It's always nice having a slightly larger radiator that cold better but with it in the long run I wouldn't say so. It is less likely to blow apart over the stock plastic endtanks. I run a koyo aluminum one and love it but rely not needed just seems more reliable over stock. As for the arp studs they are amazing but if you're not looking to make power even down the road then the stock will be fine. I run them on the new motor because I'll be running 25psi wanting 400+ so if you never want to get over 320+ then stick with stock to save some coin. Just make sure you torque them to Subaru spec.

Also, looks like you've got the KB baffle and a new pan on there -- That's like, what, $400-ish(?) you could put somewhere else. Your stock baffle and pan can go through a parts washer once or twice and be rid of any metal that might be in there. Unless you're tracking the car, the KB baffle is overkill, as it's really only designed to help prevent oil starvation during hard cornering during competition events. It's overkill, even for AutoX on weekends.

Thanks for the info. The pickup and baffle together were $250. Went with OE Pan, not the killer b one. Heard of several people who had stock pickups go so I figured it was good insurance. The baffle probably wasn't completely necessary but for $70 on its own went for it anyway.

What I really haven't heard of much with the 2.5 turbo are head gasket failures, or issues with the studs at stock-ish power levels which is why I'm still on the fence. I'm failry confident that the stock ones will be fine (again I'll go no more than 300 hp, 250 most likely) and at that power level ARP might be overkill. But we'll see

Arps are def nice but the motor in my car now has 143xxx miles at 19 psi for 30,xxx of those with stock bolts never taken out and not a single issue so far. It is nice insurance but under 300awhp it's up to you.

• Moderators

Replace the oil crossover pipe if needed. A new fuel pump could be considered a bit of a maintenance item depending on mileage. If you are buying a new oil pan, source one for a late model STi to ensure proper shape to allow for headers down the road (you or another owner) and better baffling in the pan.

Also a new stock turbo inlet if the old one has served its purpose.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Good list of parts, I'd replace the Ignition coils, upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostat as well since it has 170k.

Yes to upgrading the radiator and Arp studs.

Good feedback. I forgot to mention I have a new T stat also. radiator hoses are in very good shape so I'll keep em for now. Coils I'll leave alone for now as well.

Will definitely go with a new radiator, studs I'm not sure on yet

Truth.

It's all the little things that will kill you slowly -- Water pump, T-stat, hoses (any and/or ALL of them) gaskets you don't have in the kit -- then stuff you want that's a cheap upgrade, like phenolic spacers, or the double-thick GS exh gaskets (which, you should get, too), the TMIC flange gasket (Mr Gasket p/n 738) having the injectors cleaned/replaced, etc, etc, etc..

It all adds up and soon enough, your 3k project is over budget at 5, 6, 7k.. .

^Very true. My goal is get the major parts in now and running well. I'll address a second round of updates/maintenance next spring when bonus/tax rebates come around. Including the price of the car I'm at about $6500 so far. Still have no idea what non-engine stuff it will need (suspension, brakes, bearings, etc...). I had originally budgeted $6k to get her running, will probably end up around $7k. But I did sell my motorcycle to fund this project so its not too big of a deal.

Its expensive for sure, but I would rather rebuild one of these for $10k and have it basically new than buy one for $10k and have to do all this stuff eventually.

^Very true. My goal is get the major parts in now and running well. I'll address a second round of updates/maintenance next spring when bonus/tax rebates come around. Including the price of the car I'm at about $6500 so far. Still have no idea what non-engine stuff it will need (suspension, brakes, bearings, etc...). I had originally budgeted $6k to get her running, will probably end up around $7k. But I did sell my motorcycle to fund this project so its not too big of a deal.

Its expensive for sure, but I would rather rebuild one of these for $10k and have it basically new than buy one for $10k and have to do all this stuff eventually.

Would you put a dirty diaper back on a newborn baby?

You can't throw possibly dangerous used parts onto a new shortblock. Water pump and timing gear should definitely be replaced -

I'd recommend springing for the factory H20 pump if your going to do it. my gates pump was way down on quality compared to the OEM. plus it was all banged up from being in the box with the pulleys.

I thought gates was the OE supplier for Subaru WP. no?

Not necessarily. Gates mainly does belts and rubber hoses -- Water pumps aren't exactly in their wheelhouse. (pun intended?)

Get the OE WP, or you can find a Bosch unit for pretty decent on Amazon. See the GOOD IDEAS parts thread sticky.

Also, if you haven't yet, see my Engine Rebuild Shopping List to see if you've missed anything.

I believe aisin is factory waterpump and mitsuboshi for the belt.

Arp 100% if you have the money.

I'm not a fan of OE headgaskets I only use fel pro sixstar or cometic.

How's your water bypass tube that goes to the oil cooler? Mine was rotted so bad it was seeping. It was only like 2x.xx with my shop discount.

Maybe upgrade to silicone hoses. Maybe invest in a kit to get all the ones that are a pain.

Make sure you leave banjo screens out.

I would only use OE seals for cams crank seal and rear main.

The idlers and tensioner in my buddies gates kit for his 06 wrx matched his oem ones perfectly, numbers and color but yea water pump was different. A lot of our oem drive belts from Subaru are gates belts as well as mitsuboshi

I believe aisin is factory waterpump and mitsuboshi for the belt.

Arp 100% if you have the money.

I'm not a fan of OE headgaskets I only use fel pro sixstar or cometic.

How's your water bypass tube that goes to the oil cooler? Mine was rotted so bad it was seeping. It was only like 2x.xx with my shop discount.

Maybe upgrade to silicone hoses. Maybe invest in a kit to get all the ones that are a pain.

Make sure you leave banjo screens out.

I would only use OE seals for cams crank seal and rear main.

Thanks for the info. I found an aisin WP for around $65, will probably go with that.

I will probably end up getting the ARP studs just for insurance. What I want, more than anything, is a motor that is going to be reliable. If the ARP will be good insurance, I'll go with them. Found a set for 180

Not sure which hose the bypass tube is. If its the one I'm thinking of, metal one at the bottom front of the engine, than yes it will be replaced as well. I haven't pulled the motor yet so once we do we'll go over everything and replace whatever is needed.

Archived