LegacyGT.com

'06 Cabin Air Filter Replacement

NutBucket

^ I pretty much followed the pics in post #2. Like someone said, it's a bit of a PITA the first time. I can do it now under 10 minutes (I have an 05 too).

Did yours have a filter to start with or do you also have an early production model? Mine has no indication of anything behind the glove box. No screws on the right side, no cloth at the back, nothing. I watched a video on YouTube of somebody doing a filter change and they just grabbed the Owner's Manual cubby and pulled it out. I see nothing on mine that would cause me to believe that's possible.

On another similar thread somebody with an early production model like mine purchased all the '08 parts and when they got it all torn apart to do the retrofit they discovered that they still couldn't access where the filter should be. I'm concerned that mine is going to be the same situation and that buying the parts, '05 Retrofit or '08 pieces will be a waste of money. I'm hoping for reasonable confirmation one way or the other. The build date on the door sticker is 10/04 so it was delivered not long after manufacture and may be one of those that can't be retrofitted.

I was just going to go to Home Depot and buy a home air filter, and make my own air filter replacement.

Anyone know the procedure for an 09 Legacy/Outback?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Did yours have a filter to start with or do you also have an early production model? Mine has no indication of anything behind the glove box. No screws on the right side, no cloth at the back, nothing. I watched a video on YouTube of somebody doing a filter change and they just grabbed the Owner's Manual cubby and pulled it out. I see nothing on mine that would cause me to believe that's possible.

I had no filter to start. Just bought some air filter material of similar thickness and cut it to fit the tray - about $10 cost. I followed the steps like in post #2:

1. Remove side panel

2. Remove and fasteners and string to let glove box door drop

3. Pull box out from the back (remove 3 screws on right in front of the box)

4. Reach in and pinch inward both right and left tabs on top and bottom with both hands and work the filter holder out - can seem like a bitch as it does not come straight out cleanly, but it will come out.

5. Put in or replace filter and reverse above to install.

• 6 months later...
Great thread, just followed the instructions and saved me a ton of time since it's freezing cold out. It still took me about an hour to replace the air filter and clean the airbox, replace the cabin filter and clean out the bracket and vaccuum out the mess it left when I pulled it out... I'm fairly certain this was the original! :eek:

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 8 months later...

just replaced an 06 filter in about 15 minutes, including the time it took to cut a new filter from a furnace sized replacement. The filter was black and full of solid debris. I guess 61K might be too long of an interval...

I also installed a filter in an 05 that had an empty tray and no retrofit parts. The entire install took 15 minutes because I went through the engine bay which was an excellent suggestion.

I also installed a filter in an 05 that had an empty tray and no retrofit parts. The entire install took 15 minutes because I went through the engine bay which was an excellent suggestion.

Oh rearry? Behind the turbo engine bay area? I need to do mine soon. Have the filter and everything, just looking for the fastest method to do it.

Oh rearry? Behind the turbo engine bay area? I need to do mine soon. Have the filter and everything, just looking for the fastest method to do it.

The method is in the 300+ post how-to, but there's a small plastic plate in the passenger corner of the bay, held in by three pop-its, That comes out easy. Then use a needle nose pliers to pop the tabs holding the rubber weather strip that runs along the top of the firewall, they're on the underside of the seal. I popped every one except the last on the drivers side. The plastic cowel lifts up just enough to get your hands into the fresh air inlet. Be sure to turn on the HVAC system and switch the recirc function off to open the baffle first. If you're making your own filter, cut an 8.5x8.5" square. Fold it in half, slide it down into the tray, unfold, and work the edges into the corners. There's a plastic divider running across the center of the inlet opening which makes reaching in a bit of a challenge. I thought I might have to cut it out, but was able to navigate around it. Put it back together, clean the dash one last time, breath deeply.

just replaced an 06 filter in about 15 minutes, including the time it took to cut a new filter from a furnace sized replacement. The filter was black and full of solid debris. I guess 61K might be too long of an interval...

You think? :) I have been checking mine about every other oil change, which is a little over a 7500k interval. The filter at that point hasn't necessarily required a change but since I've already got it out and the home-made filters are cheap so I change it anyway.

Before removing the console and making the hole I investigated this option but it was more intimidating-looking than doing it the console way once and then having easy access from then-on.

• 2 weeks later...
hmm i bet i dont have one, my car seems to get noticeably dusty 2days after a cleaning.

You may be right. I had only had my car a few weeks when I did the upgrade. There was a noticeable difference in the amount of dust on the dash after the filter was installed. Well worth the effort regardless of the way you get there.

You may be right. I had only had my car a few weeks when I did the upgrade. There was a noticeable difference in the amount of dust on the dash after the filter was installed. Well worth the effort regardless of the way you get there.

I gotta say, Montana's method literally took me 11 maybe 12 minutes, and I wasn't rushing. Well worth it to be able to breathe in my car again. And the dust reduction. If you like your car clean, you need to check the filter. It was driving me CRAZY!

so what filter do i get from home depot to "make my own" filter?

Any of the large home heating system/furnace filters.

The 3M Filtrete 1500 Ultra Allergen Filter is a really good one. Others may have suggestions. Usually available at Home DePot or Lowes for less than $20, and you should be able to make 4 OEM filters from it.

Any of the large home heating system/furnace filters.

The 3M Filtrete 1500 Ultra Allergen Filter is a really good one. Others may have suggestions. Usually available at Home DePot or Lowes for less than $20, and you should be able to make 4 OEM filters from it.

:cool:, ive gotta go to lowes anyway for my weekend plasti-dip project. will add it to the list.

I bought the filter at Lowes. Its the standard 16x20 size, has a black plastic support grid on the back, a thin green layer, and a thin white layer on top. The filter is only about 1/8" thick, flat, no sides, and not folded like the traditional paper furnace filters with cardboard frames. You'll know i when you see it.

I think I bought a 20x25. It might be the largest that they normally stock. In any case I got 6 filters out of it. The one I got had purple graphics on the packaging. It had a cardboard perimeter frame with an expanded metal support matrix on the back, which means you have to use tin snips to cut it down. It also contained charcoal, which I wanted because the previous owner was a smoker and I wanted all the help I could get to reduce the odor. The filter was pleated similar to the OEM filter. I'm almost certain I paid less than $20.

I bought the filter at Lowes. Its the standard 16x20 size, has a black plastic support grid on the back, a thin green layer, and a thin white layer on top. The filter is only about 1/8" thick, flat, no sides, and not folded like the traditional paper furnace filters with cardboard frames. You'll know i when you see it.

• 1 month later...
I cut up a furnace filter last time and it was a bit of a PITA as i got one of the nicer filters. Then when I moved I ended up throwing out the rest of the filter anyway... So when I was at walmart I grabbed one with arm and hammer. Going to give it a try.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 2 years later...

Archived