LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT half-shaft problem

Hi all,

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere and I missed it. Please direct me to the appropriate thread with my thanks.

I recently rebuilt my EJ255 due to three burnt valves, and in the process, replaced the passenger front half-shaft due to a broken boot and worn CV joint. I thought this was the easy job! I thought I had it seated, but it pulled out of the transmission, releasing most of the transmission oil. I know that (1) the oil seal is probably bad, and (2) if I did not catch it in time, the diff might be smoked as well. Anyway, I am trying to re-seat the half-shaft in the transmission, and it will not seem to go past the snap ring on the end of the shaft. Does anyone know the Subaru tech trick for getting the half-shaft seated? I have looked at many videos, and most of them are pre-fourth generation with the female half-shaft and the retaining pin, which is not what I have.

Thanks much!

I jack up the LCA so the axle is on a horizontal plane, then take a piece of 2x4 and hold it over the outer end of the axle where the nut threads on, then hit the 2x4 with a 5lb hammer. That's what I was told to do and it works great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I jack up the LCA so the axle is on a horizontal plane, then take a piece of 2x4 and hold it over the outer end of the axle where the nut threads on, then hit the 2x4 with a 5lb hammer. That's what I was told to do and it works great.

Thanks! I will give it a go.

Archived