LegacyGT.com

Roof Rack Help Needed

Ok so I want to add a roof rack to my car but not for style. I want it to look good still but I mainly want it for functionality. I am looking for a rack that allows me to have different holders on it such as one side snow board and the other a cargo box.

Also I know for a fact I will be getting a cargo box to put camera gear in. I want one that is thin in both height and width. So maybe 12 inches tall by 18 inches wide. The length can be normal. I guess in simple terms a compact cargo container. Mainly so I can utilize the other half for a snow board or kayak.

If you have any experience with a specific brand or model please post it up. Also post pics of it on your car if you can. I want a good looking roof rack, nothing goofy looking.

Thanks

all brands have their own bars/mounts. most will come with a "universal" mount to swap if you have another brands bars or such. if not, they are pretty easy to find. as for brands id say thule and yakima are the top 2. both make a good product, ive used both myself and have never had issues. i do prefer yakima however.

thule has a square bar as there price point bar. gets the job done but is quite prone to a lot of wind noise. their arrow bar is awesome though. its really quiet, but quite expensive.

yakima has round bars which im a big fan of. especially during the ski season i can fold my ski racks over to keep it a bit more aero. for snow sliding i like the yakima fatcat4/6 ski/snowboard rack as well. low profile so stays quite and looks good.

for boxes, off memory i think the yakima skybox 12 is their smallest box. for thule it would be the force 12. both are the middle of the road boxes that are low profile and dont look like bricks on the roof.

with all that being said all you need to do is go to:

yakima.com

or

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us

enter in your cars info and they will tell you what you need.

G0040269.thumb.jpg.dd3e2b452b8e9f85953512c7b5fc1eff.jpg

GOPR0288.JPG.a711b056beafaddf427321e4df3e93c7.JPG

Does the 07 legacy gt have fixed mounting points for a roof rack? Look for four little flaps, one above each door.

If you don't have these, you'll have to get a roof that that interrupts your door seals and has the potential to leak. This is the main reason i got a wagon.

you may find issues with a sedan with rainguards(if you have them)

all these wagon guys have factory rails

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

i have the yakima q-towers on my sedan. I prefer the round rails as they are quieter and you can attach just about anything to the round rails with u-shaped bolts from the hardware store. other than a bit of wind noise with the windows open, no huge increase in noise with the install, and no issues with the window seal.

I have the aero tx racks mount for your year legacy. I wan to get rid of them as I don't have the car anymore. You can get the two load bars for cheap. This is what it looks like on:

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg548/deexboy/c19cbb23.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg548/deexboy/d17fbf4c.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg548/deexboy/8ef8555d.jpg

The fairing makes things so much quieter.

I am only selling the feet and fit kit.

---

Thanks everyone for the info you posted.

I have mainly been looking at the Yakima mounts and these responses helped me solidify that choice. I did read the round bars are much more versatile and have less noise. I do like that Thule fairing on your legacy though Laz. I am almost positive they make one for the Yakima sets.

The yakima set would probably work best for me as I did like the low profile cargo box they offer. it is half the width of the rack so I can still fit a snowboard / Bike / Kayak on top. If anyone ends up selling their Yakima rack with round rails please PM me so we can talk prices.

The Legacy sedan does not have the 4 sections to mount but I am not worried about the rack leaking. I will typically only have it on when I plan to use it rather then ride around with it all the time.

Thanks again for all the help.

Before you buy look into the Thule 480R Aero feet and bars. The Yak racks are fine but i find them ugly on top of a legacy. The 480R feet are shorter and closer to the roof and the look is much cleaner.

Cool Ill check it out. Always open for better looking alternatives!

Archived