LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport - Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting

Diavolo

I searched but couldn't find a good thread on this forum about Launch Control (LC) and Flat Foot Shifting (FFS).

Specifically pertaining to whats available with Cobb's Accessport, and how it works.

So lets discuss that here. :)

We all know theres alternatives to the Accessport.

Don't want to debate that.

We all know it can damage your vehicle.

Don't want to debate that either.

However, I would like to know the safest way to use it; and what preventative maintenance can be done to reduce damage; what components and fluids wear fastest from use.

Also, just like to hear people's experiences with it, results, effects on your vehicle, technical info on how it works, etc.

So drop knowledge!

My car is Stage 2, pro-tuned. Been that way for 3 years.

Manual boost controller, EGT sensor delete, and Comp Clutch w/ Single Mass Lightweight Flywheel are some mods that may be relevant for this discussion.

Before doing some research I thought LC was just a rev limiter of sorts. Never really cared to use it.

A few days ago, I plugged my Accessport in, and went to the launch control setting just to see if it would work, it did. I did not have to reflash a version of my custom pro-tune map with LC added. (Should I reflash? Any advantage there?). I had read something about pro-tunes made with certain software would be LC compatible anyways, which seemed true since it worked. Just wondering if my manual boost controller would foul things up, since Cobbs off the shelf maps can't regulate boost for me, but I don't think that would matter with their LC settings(?).

My experience is; it's INCREDIBLE! It probably built somewhere around 4-6psi before I left the line. That small difference is astounding.

I guesstimated 3800RPMs would be ok to give it a go. Not even sure if that was as dialed in as it could be. Only tried one launch.

Car blasted off the line like never before! Although the 1-2 shift (I didn't FFS) seemed to result in more compressor stall than usual, or maybe it was just the car rocking back forward after the weight transfer being more violent than I'm used to. I let off once I was in 2nd gear.

Same with flat foot shifting, only tried it for one shift, just to do it, had it set at 4500 RPMs.

I'm a 2010 2+ LGT. Fx350 clutch and lwfw. I did the same thing as you, had the AP for a whole and never messed with the FFS or LS.

One day I decided to give it a shot. The launch control I set to around 3800-4000. It worked like a charm! Huge power from the dig and held on through. I was extremely surprised how much I liked it.

Someone mentioned that the launch control isn't good for the car because it adjusts the timing and could possibly cause some knock. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it makes sense. I still use it at the track to get a consistent launch.

The FFS is my best friend! I have mine set somewhere around 5500. I don't think it's much worse than power shifting without it. I love it. Plus you get a nice pop when the fuel cuts out between shifts.. For a while once I figured out how to use it, I think I FFSed every gear for about a week.

Archived