LegacyGT.com

2.2 radiator

I have a 1998 brighton wagon. looking for some easy CHEAP mods for it. removed power steering, and the a/c system. k&n air filter, which fixed the "jerk" when pressing gas from a stop. thinking of doing a new radiator and hoses next. HOWEVER, im having a little bit of a hard time finding a performance or "race" style radiator that has the factory hose locations. most inlets are in the top center. mine currently is passenger side top. any ideas? also, it is my daily so im looking for 4-5 hours jobs to be done with basic hand tools.:spin:

Ok, just a heads up, I replaced a radiator on my sister's Automatic 96 legacy L 2.2, it had a thin aluminum radiator with plastic side tanks. I went to O'reilly Auto and got a replacement, and it was TWICE as thick and all aluminum!

10409159_10203443955875859_6303284602083113289_n.jpg

If you do have the thinner radiator with plastic side tanks and plastic fan shrouds, you will need the slimmer metal fans from a forester/impreza 2.5 from 97-99, and the upper radiator support bracket to go with it. *You can source these from a pick and pull/wrecking yard for fairly cheap.

Or you could get creative and drill holes in the fan shrouds to line up with the holes on the radiator, but then you'd have to make some modifications to the fan shroud so you don't rub on your serpentine belt. *It is just easier to replace the fans for the slimmer ones. They use the same plug.

Make sure you burp the coolant system well afterwards or you will have overheating issues and the heater wont work. If you remove the radiator, you might as well do the thermostat, and depending on miles, the water pump, timing belt, etc.

its got 185k on it now for miles, but the shop I bought the car from specializes in subarus, they do timing belts and head gaskets on EVERY car they sell. I bought it at 143k so they only have about 42k miles on them. if I dive that deep im going to pull the motor and o everything at once. I do have the thin one with plastic ends though. are you saying they gave you the wrong radiator or did you have to get that special?

my 96 GT radiator is bigger than my 95 L wagon radiator. the mounts are a bit different, but im going to upgrade to the bigger GT radiator when mine craps out. it was 130 bucks when i replaced the GT radiator, not a bad price.

I got the one I wanted. I just made it work. $130ish at O'reilly. They have 2 types, the thinner one that looks like your stock one, or the thicker one. Just ask to see the radiator before you buy it to make sure it is the right one.

Murray® Heat Transfer - Radiator

Part # 432664

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MHT1/432664/01386.oap?ck=Search_01386_1389416_2651&pt=01386&ppt=C0331

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/medium/mht/apdi-8012082.jpg

Archived