LegacyGT.com

There goes my clutch

get AAA with the 100 mile package. it'll pay for itself immediately and you can tow that bastard to hell and back for the rest of the year if you want. or you shoulda at least been able to limp it... i mean... unless you completely destroyed it.

I have AAA they only can tow my car 5 miles or less for free two times a year though. I may look in to upgrading my package I did not know they offered others.

And yeah my clutch is completely destroyed..:lol:

I think I'll just wait for the official quote and go from there.

Jeez with a comment like I didn't know subarus have intercoolers, I would not be too confident with the car being repaired properly. That's just me

That is exactly what I am thinking. I just can't believe he didn't know turbo Subarus have a tmic... Kind of amazed me honestly.

Yep I've had 100 miles free towing from AAA for many years now. Even found out LVD in NY was 96 miles from the house. Yep that worked great.

Keep us posted.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep I've had 100 miles free towing from AAA for many years now. Even found out LVD in NY was 96 miles from the house. Yep that worked great.

Keep us posted.

Just looked up where EFI Logics is located and it's only about 80 miles from me. I'm definitely thinking about upgrading to the AAA plus package now.

Hopefully I'll get a quote soon so I can decide if I want to get my car out of there haha.

Little update everyone.

My car is still at the same shop and they called me earlier this morning. Apparently this mechanic thinks that my car requires a dual mass flywheel. I tried explaining to him that a single mass would work perfectly fine and a 07+ LGT flywheel would work.

He went on to explain that they only put dual mass flywheels on high performance vehicles and if it originally had one you need to replace it with another.

This place is giving me a headache. At least they said my car should be done tomorrow. I only plan on keeping this car for maybe another year so I guess having another dual mass doesn't really matter too much to me. I highly doubt I'll have to go through this again.

Don't put that POS back in.

The mechanic is an idiot. Call him out nicely and tell him that thousands of Subaru owners can't be wrong if their cars have accumulated millions of miles in a DMFW to SMFW conversion on the same engine and transmission found in the same car.

High performance cars have DSG transmissions these days.

Little update everyone.

My car is still at the same shop and they called me earlier this morning. Apparently this mechanic thinks that my car requires a dual mass flywheel. I tried explaining to him that a single mass would work perfectly fine and a 07+ LGT flywheel would work.

He went on to explain that they only put dual mass flywheels on high performance vehicles and if it originally had one you need to replace it with another.

This place is giving me a headache. At least they said my car should be done tomorrow. I only plan on keeping this car for maybe another year so I guess having another dual mass doesn't really matter too much to me. I highly doubt I'll have to go through this again.

Get yourself out of this place. They clearly have no idea what they're doing.

Plenty of performance cars use single mass flywheels

Plenty of "average" cars use dual mass

Putting a single mass flywheel in will make the car more appealing to a prospective buyer, assuming they know the difference. the SMF setups are known to have lighter pedal action, and will be quite a bit cheaper. No reason not to go that route

Good luck

Agree ^.

Subaru even figured that one out. That's why the 07-09's have a SMFW.

Same engine same tranny.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Time to tow this thing to someone else, this guy is a tool.

I had my '05 clutch/flywheel replaced at the dealer with the '07 single-mass clutch/flywheel. The mechanic's only concern was that the thickness of the flywheel would locate the clutch disc too far from the input shaft on the transmission, but once I said it's fine and to stick it in there he had no problems doing so.

Also, even if the snout is in good condition, I'd still want the TSK3 kit in there too while it's all open.

Little update everyone.

Your car DOES require a DMFW. That's what the manual says, so that's what he wants to put in. He's worried that if a SMFW doesn't work, your car will be stuck in one of his bays and he'll get back logged on work.

This is why you take your car to a Subaru shop. I know mechanics that won't install aftermarket or customer supplied parts. They do have a good point not to. I'm not in the auto industry, but I don't take my customer's word for shit since many of them are idiots. :lol:

But $2500 is still a lot even with a brand new DMFW.

Archived