LegacyGT.com

replacing shocks on 2005

Hi. Anyone have any idea how much it costs at a shop to have all four shocks replaced on my wife's 2005 wagon, non-turbo. with about(130,000 miles on it)?

I know I can do this with a set of spring compressors, but it seems like a lot of work to do by hand. Any idea of the number of hours and the cost to do the job myself on all 4 corners? Also, how difficult am I likely to find this if I do the work? I.e., fairly easy, medium, damned hard?

Thanks in advance for you feedback.

Fairly easy. Borrow a spring compressor from an auto parts store for free. After you get the wheels off, it is just 2 bolts on the bottom and 3 nuts on the top.

Assuming no corrosion, which depends on your location, it will go rather quickly. Swapping the springs over since you've never done it before will be your biggest challenge. Once you figure out the tricks on the first one, the remaining three will be a lot easier.

For a competent shop, it will take them 2 hours MAX.

Don't forget the alignment.

Impact gun. Don't try to do the rears without it.

Other than that, there's really nothing to it. I assume you're going OEM, but you could also look at the KYB's on Tire Rack. You can also get the rear top hats, but not the front from Tire Rack. DO NOT BUY BOOT KITS FROM TIRE RACK - THEY DON'T FIT AND TIRE RACK WILL NOT REFUND YOU.

You'll want to replace all parts of the assembly sans the dust boot, bump stop, conical washer, and nuts. http://opposedforces.com/parts has diagrams for you to look at when ordering parts.

+1000 on impact gun.

I have a heavy duty electric Milwaukee impact gun that works fine and isn't that expensive. Great for tire changes as well.

I swapped mine over in just about two hours the first time.

But I was swapping in coils so no spring compressor needed. But they aren't rocket science, and if you have the impact gun they are a breeze.

Archived