LegacyGT.com

AUX mod for the 6CD changer unit

Hey guys,

i was wondering if there's any particular recommended AUX mod for the standard 6CD changer/radio head unit in the 05 LGT Limited, and if so does anyone have any write up on how to do it?

Thanks!

Search.

The Jazzy mod seems to be a decent package deal if you don't wanna spend the $350ish for the JDM double-din from AVO to put in whatever HU you want.

The other option is to watch the classifieds, and pick up an 07-09 headunit, P-204UH. Those years had factory Aux-in.

I have an Alpine HU in the little Din area above the clock in my 05, the location isn't the best and I wouldn't mind it sitting a little lower on the dash, but it's worlds better than the stock radio and having an AUX cable is a life saver becuase the radio sucks nowadays, and I don't even think I own any CD's lol

I have an Alpine HU in the little Din area above the clock in my 05, the location isn't the best and I wouldn't mind it sitting a little lower on the dash, but it's worlds better than the stock radio and having an AUX cable is a life saver becuase the radio sucks nowadays, and I don't even think I own any CD's lol

so you kept the stock HU and added the alpine one on top of it? hows the wiring worked out? the CD changer is still usable all the volume controls and radio controls still function?

^^^ There's no cable between the Legacy's CD changer and the receiver/amplifier for a unit like that to splice into.

^ Adding a head unit means not using the OEM unit. It only remains so that the HVAC controls are functional.

so you kept the stock HU and added the alpine one on top of it? hows the wiring worked out? the CD changer is still usable all the volume controls and radio controls still function?

My buddy did all the wiring he's a damn wizard when it comes to electricals, he was in the BestBuy install bay for 4 years. I know he just used a female adaptor harness that we bought with the deck itself. But The stock HU still turns on etc.. but doesn't play anything unless you just swap the plugs behind the radio. The CD player would work as well, if I wanted to go back and forth it would be as simple as unplug, plug in. I just have no need for the CD player I suppose I just use the aux.

I think I'd rather get a Bluetooth capable single din installed along with the kit needed for that to work. Leave the unit to Bluetooth and sync it with your phone automatically when u get in the car. No need to plug in any wires and the sound quality difference is negligible, if any

well in all honesty i was hoping there was a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the back of the factory HU. when i was looking into speed6's i found out that there were special dongles like that, that plugged into the back of the unit and added bluetooth capability to the stock unit with the press of two buttons

well in all honesty i was hoping there was a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the back of the factory HU. when i was looking into speed6's i found out that there were special dongles like that, that plugged into the back of the unit and added bluetooth capability to the stock unit with the press of two buttons

I dont know about anything coming with the factory HU, but I plan on getting a new deck with bluetooth sometime soon, I completely agree bluetooth is better and I had it in my old car lol, I just had this deck already with the car so I wired it in, an AUX cord is a million times better than the radio lol. But yeah very near future I plan on having a nicer deck with bluetooth.

i dont mind throwing a double din in there with bluetooth, the thing is that the faceplate on the stock HU covers both the radio controls and the digital A/C controls so i dont know how i could make it work really

U have to buy the installation kit from Metra or similar to install either a double din or single. You'll need the radio adapter as well. Mine is in the mail from crutchfield. It'll look good don't worry and it'll be cheaper and better than the factory radio, if you already have an aftermarket unit. I'm gonna use my Pioneer single din with bt. Best part is it comes with a Mic for hands-free calling. I can't wait cuz around here the fine is massive if I'm caught even just holding my phone while driving

i dont mind throwing a double din in there with bluetooth, the thing is that the faceplate on the stock HU covers both the radio controls and the digital A/C controls so i dont know how i could make it work really

The problem with that is the dual climate control A/C is wired directly into the stock radio, so if you went to remove it altogether and put a din in there for a double din, you would lose your A/C :/ Some real custom stuff would have to happen to be able to pull that off. I'm no electrical guru or anything, so for now I have to stay content with my deck being a little too high and in a bit of an awkward location.

so really the only option is keeping an unfunctional faceplate with the factory HU while adding a din in the top portion... maybe one of my friends could hook up a switch or something to make it work. i know my friend installed a double din in his sister's 135i which apparently is near impossible to do, he also had to rewire the factory HU in the trunk otherwise he'd lose some functionality

This thread makes me :spin: - it's like the blind leading the blind... :nono:

This is all well documented in the Interior/Audio technical sub forum. Read the stickies there.

If you have dual zone climate control and want an aftermarket single or double din replacement you have to use the JDM optional HVAC/2x DIN bezel to retain your HVAC controls (Subaru split them out in that JDM option so you can just use the HVAC). No Metra will work and no need to try and custom fab it. This has all been tried before. The problem is that the dual zone HVAC and stereo share the same circuit board. Also note that you will need to come up with or purchase additional cabling to make the JDM conversion work in a USDM car (ae64.com).

If you want to hack into your existing stereo for AUX in only, their are solutions as well like the Jazzy mod or the Leptronix AUX in hack.

Archived