LegacyGT.com

Not a happy camper right now....

How does the crank pulley fail?? I remember how beefy it felt when I replaced my timing belt. Is it a rust issue for you guys in the cold areas from road salt?

I would check that idler and AC to see if they are frozen/stuck.

So did the belt rip up the timing belt as well? Did your engine shut off? If so, timing belt snapped, which likely means bent valves..

Good luck, Hope the timing belt is intact.

How does the crank pulley fail?? I remember how beefy it felt when I replaced my timing belt. Is it a rust issue for you guys in the cold areas from road salt?

If I can recall correctly, like most newer vehicles, the crank pulley is made of several pieces. You'd have a hub that mounts to the crank and then an outer ring for the belts to ride on with a hard rubber compound in between. If the rubber deteriorates it can crack/disintegrate and allow the ring to completely remove itself from the rest of the pulley or potentially just let the outer rings

spin independent from the rest of the pulley.

The rubber, as far as I am aware is mostly to combat NVH but not to really 'balance' anything.

I took a look at some pics of a couple pulleys for these. If there is any rubber it is a very thin piece connecting the hub to the portion driving the belts. Why would they even bother putting that little amount of rubber?

OP i'd be interested to see pics of your pulley if it did fail.

I took a look at some pics of a couple pulleys for these. If there is any rubber it is a very thin piece connecting the hub to the portion driving the belts. Why would they even bother putting that little amount of rubber?

OP i'd be interested to see pics of your pulley if it did fail.

I think if you look through the pictures I posted, in one of them you can see the crank pull and it looks like the outer ring is pushed in.. I'm guessing that's it.

The car was actually still running fine when this happened. I had to move it to the side of the road quickly as this happened at a light at a very busy intersection.

Goes in the shop Tuesday, I'll find the extent of the damage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So how many miles on the engine when this happened?

Damn... Another thing to watch out for... If I would have known I might have replaced it when I changed the timing belt...

If not the crank pulley it might be one of the other pulleys that failed.

And take a good look at the timing belt as well when you are there since damage to the cover can cause damage to the belt.

The crank pulley can be replaced with a lightweight one which is from one solid piece, in which case that problem won't happen anymore.

453747.png

So how many miles on the engine when this happened?

Damn... Another thing to watch out for... If I would have known I might have replaced it when I changed the timing belt...

103.5K miles.

If not the crank pulley it might be one of the other pulleys that failed.

And take a good look at the timing belt as well when you are there since damage to the cover can cause damage to the belt.

The crank pulley can be replaced with a lightweight one which is from one solid piece, in which case that problem won't happen anymore.

Getting the timing belt replaced regardless. Due at 105k, currently at 103.5K.

• 2 weeks later...

Update..

So the quote came back... $1972 after tax n such. Items replaced.. 1038 Parts, 700 Labor... and other fees/taxes.

AC Compressor

Gates Timing Belt Kit

New Timing Belt Covers

New Crank Pulley

New Accessory Belts

New Idler Pulley

Coolant Flush

Recharge AC

Most expensive part was the AC Compressor. Second was the Timing Belt replacement labor.. 3rd was the timing belts themselves.

Really wish I could have spent that 2 grand on a new turbo and tuning like I wanted to. But NOOOOOOOOO!

I'm a little confused as to how the AC condenser was damaged as a result of the crank pulley failing. It's on the other side of the radiator relative to the crank pulley and there's a decent air gap between them. . . crank pulley would have to go all the way through the radiator before it even touched the AC condenser. . .unless the radiator was also replaced but you just didn't mention it.

I'm a little confused as to how the AC condenser was damaged as a result of the crank pulley failing. It's on the other side of the radiator relative to the crank pulley and there's a decent air gap between them. . . crank pulley would have to go all the way through the radiator before it even touched the AC condenser. . .unless the radiator was also replaced but you just didn't mention it.

Crap.. I meant compressor! Lol

He also used compressor and condensor, so I'm not sure which one was actually replaced. :iam:

Welp, there goes another 300 bucks. :(

I had mentioned the car being fairly loud driving at speed which I figured was either my Tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+, about 14k miles, 1.5 years old) or a wheel bearing or 2. They found that my drivers side rear bearing is shot. Expected as much.

Really hope it quiets the ride down, though I think the tires are noisy also.

My driver side bearing was shot too, when I get up to freeway speeds, it would howl with a slight thumping sound. Replaced it over a month ago and it's perfectly quiet again.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived