LegacyGT.com

98 LGT Catalyst below efficiency

Beckyc86

Soo my husband drove my 98 LGT to work and back today. (Is about a 30 mile drive one way) And on the way back the car started missing horrible and got a CEL. He said he checked the code and it said Catalyst below efficiency message. I'm sure someone has experienced this before..He said it felt like someone kept pushing the gas and letting off on its own..I'm about 90% positive my mom (previous owner) replaced the catalytic converter before so I'm wondering if its gone bad already? We've own this car 2 years (my mom had it 2 years before that) and have never had a single break down..I'm wondering if maybe its an O2 sensor and the car is mistaking it for the catalytic converter? He reset the battery and ran and the CEL turned off. Does anyone have any suggestions?:confused::confused:

If you goggle the code it will help tell what the issue is.

Most likely a O2 sensor.

Some of the stickys here have a link to the codes too, check the next forum down for the sticky.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've had this code on a 98 LGT wagon and my 06 OB. On the LGT, it was an O2 sensor. I would clear the code and it would take a while to come back. On the OB, it was the front Catalytic converter (luckily under the extended service).

replacing the O2 sensor will cost the least amount of the two. Great way to start the diagnostic process.

Archived