LegacyGT.com

UP and intake information needed

HDZ32

Hey all! I'm looking to buy an UP sometime pretty soon here, I already have the upgraded DP and full 3 inch exhaust, the only thing left is the UP, so what's the best brand? Do they substantially increase power? (with the tune of course) Also, looking to buy an intake as well, does it free up power as well? What's the best brands? Thanks in advance!

With your stock turbo, neither of those will change performance measurably. Replacing the UP is precautionary in 05-06 so that if the cat breaks up it doesn't take the turbo and/or the motor with it (I prefer the Grimmspeed UP). Big tube UPs can aid performance once you get into quite a bit bigger turbo than stock. OEM CAI that Subaru fitted to these is good to at least 350AWHP. Save your money for other more worthwhile mods.

A gutted UP will give you slighty quicker spool, about 300 - 500 RPMs sooner. As Catalyst mention, it also helps to protect the turbo if the cat breaks apart.

At your current mods, the stock air box will do just fine.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Thanks for the heads up! UP will be next on the list then for sure. I don't want anything breaking up period in my car lol. As far as the intake goes, I know it wont give any big gains or anything, but I'm looking for a little more noise from the turbo as well, not a BOV or anything tacky like that, but a louder spool would sound nice. Would an intake open it up a little and make it "louder"?

Yeah absolutely that's the plan! UP and the intake, then I'll have it tuned and I promise myself to leave the engine alone performance wise for at least 6 months! :lol: maybe...

I said that the second I bought the car, but hey the UP is preventative maintenance right?! I dont want it failiing on me or anything. I'm just being cautious and safe here. ;)

That's what I said too, until my head gasket blew. Which lead to a total motor rebuild with forged pistons, because I didn't what them to fail either. :lol:

Now that is smart! ;) stricly preventative, safety first!

Catless DP and exhaust is already done! I'm already more than halfway there techinically so why not do the vf52 now too?! I wouldn't want to leave things uncompleted right? :p

Archived