LegacyGT.com

Bought an LGT today. Some questions

Cam bolt = zero issues. take the old timing belt and lock the camshaft pulleys with vise grips and use a standard breaker bar and hex socket. It will break loose without a fuss.

Basic idea:

http://photos.phpwerx.net/cars/Legacy/Random/800x600/DSCF2805.JPG

You're lucky. A buddy and I were doing a swap on a baja XT. Cam bolts were so tight that the allen socket we used rounded the bolt hole (yes it was the right size socket). Ended having to drill both cam bolts out. Not fun

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I can tell, the copper crush washers are in there. I have quite a few, though I haven't bothered to count exactly how many..

Half moons, no. You'd think they'd put those in there.. :confused:

You can find a hella tight set of LiC motorsports aluminium ones on rallysportdirect for about $60. If my project takes any longer, I'll be springing for those, too.

I was meaning the aluminum ones. I put a few in other cars and they have o rings.

I use toyota fipg for everything. I swear by the stuff.

From what I've read, it's on-par with Permatex. As long as you've got something there, you should be good.

I kept my moons and just coated the hell out of them with Permatex. There has been no leaks.

Mine only had a divot on one side of only one moon -- So that's what I did, too. :lol:

But if I still end up waiting past the 4th for those damn bolts, I'm just gonna go ahead and order the aluminium ones because bling.

Anybody think I'll have issues with the bottom end since it overheated. Not sure how hot it got it was the previous owner who did it. Happened back in November it's been sitting ever since.

I been thinking about just doing a fel pro head set just a timing belt and mitsuboshi and a set of fl pro head bolts having the heads surfaced and slapping it together hoping the bottom is fine. In the mean time picking up a new short block. Doing a head job to the spare heads I got. A cometic gasket set with arp head studs and putting a new chra in the spare turbo I have and essentially have a brand new engine waiting for this one to die. Then build this one when it does..

Have you pulled the oil pan ? what does the heat trace look like on the rod ends ?

Can you spin the crank by hand ?

If this is your second or third car, that would be ok. I think you said you have all the tools and DIY.

If it's your DD, IMO do it right the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^ This.

With the heads off, take a good look at the pistons and cylinder walls, along with the crank & rods. Turn the crank several times to feel if the pistons move smoothly.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Over in Japan an aristo is a gs300. Has a twin turbo 2jz. But it's not just a bolt in and go. You have to relocate abs and battery. You need to split the harness to run both ecus. The is300 is a returnless fuel system so you have to make it a return. You need a special intake if your keeping the tt set up. Etc etc. I'll never do one again.

It's such an immense amount of work for a small gain.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/vtech91integra/20140621_125620.jpg

The LGT's idiosyncrasies will make that project seem like pie. :lol:

No way in hell lol

Worst car I had to work on was my 90 tt 300zx. Anything is cake from that car.

Will second the 300zx...used to look at those at car shows and say...how the Hell do they work on those things. The turboed Civic was so much easier.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Subarus (even turbocharged ones) are a cakewalk to work on compared to most other marques.

My mom has a 2010 F250. Pretty much any major service requires removing the cab. Fortunately it doesn't get driven much and she bought an extended warranty so I'll probably never have to do that. . . fingers crossed.

After wrenching on Subarus for nearly 20 years, anything with a transverse engine sucks to work on.

Good looking rides. . . you'll love working on the GT.

Archived