LegacyGT.com

5th gen Clutch?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So for the people that have replaced there clutch what did you do about your fly wheel? need answer asap. :) thank you

I am running a southbend stage 2 daily with OEM flywheel. My shop said the flywheel just needed a resurface and could be reused. So far, 500mi of use with no issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Im in the market for a clutch and am leaning towards the stg 2 Southbend, but I am curious if anyone running a southbend stg 3? If so how does it compare?

I now have the same question. Is there any reason that I'd be interested in going up to the stage 3 clutch?

• 2 weeks later...
Whelp. Began looking into this and I have no idea which route to go. From the performance shops I called by me, it's looking like around $600-700 in labor. Now I also don't know which clutch to go with. I was looking at the southbend stage 2. I'm just wondering how it would hold up with stage 2/ets headers/e85, with a possibility of a turbo upgrade in the far future (at least a year).

Whelp. Began looking into this and I have no idea which route to go. From the performance shops I called by me, it's looking like around $600-700 in labor. Now I also don't know which clutch to go with. I was looking at the southbend stage 2. I'm just wondering how it would hold up with stage 2/ets headers/e85, with a possibility of a turbo upgrade in the far future (at least a year).

You'll probably want to go with the South Bend Stage 3, or an ACT HDG6. When I was selecting my clutch (to be installed a week from today), South Bend told me that the Stage 2 and Stage 3 clutches are the same clutch, it is just the pressure plate that is different. I ended up going with the ACT HDSS, but I'm not on E85 and have no plans to go on it.

Cobb Surgeline is doing my install and labor is going to be about 750. The HDSS clutch kit is about 620ish, and then I also got the TSK3 snout kit from Infamous Performance for 160. So I'll have about 1500 invested in just the clutch install, which is pretty much why my exhaust install and stage 2 protune is getting postponed until next year.

Check out acumenhokie's thread on this very issue, as it sounds like you're heading towards a similar situation as him, even if you don't quite reach his power levels:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/another-clutch-bites-dust-options-400whp-400wtqi-243569.html

Yeah, I took a look at all the clutch threads I could find. And none made it easier, but harder to make a decision lol. Reality is, that I have no idea how often I would run E85. But since I would be getting a protune, I might as well get a map for it as well. I have a few gas stations on my daily commute that I can get some.

I am leaning towards the south bend, just based off of reputation and it seems like it has a very oem like feel to it. I just am not sure if I should go stg2 to save some cash or stg3 for the occasional e85. I know if I definitely were to upgrade the turbo the stg3 would be a no brainer.

Dropping another $1500 on it really puts a damper on plans big time. It seems that by the time I can do what I want, I'll probably be almost at 100k and the engine will probably die on the dyno or shortly after.

I would think that you'd want a clutch that can handle the most power you expect to put down during the clutch's life. If you spend 20% of the year on E85 and are putting down 350+ ft-lbs at the wheel, you'll probably want a stage 3 or comparable clutch I'd guess (I'm not a mechanic or any kind of clutch expert - this is just based on what info I've been able to research and attempting to apply it).

I have no idea what the engagement is like for South Bend clutches (or ACT clutches for that matter), but I do know that the pressure plate is a lot stiffer with the South Bend stage 3, so you'll notice that in the clutch pedal. Based on what I've read, it will be comparable in pedal feel to the ACT HDSS clutch kit.

I went with the HDSS for two reasons: it more than covers my power goals while I would have some uncertainty with the South Bend stage 2 clutch when I'm eventually ready to upgrade my intercooler, and Cobb Surgeline carries ACT clutches and was able to price it lower than I would have been able to get online and much cheaper than the South Bend stage 3. I don't know if my concerns with power levels on the South Bend stage 2 clutch are founded or not, and there's no way to know for sure without trying it, but I didn't really want do another clutch replacement in 40k miles, so I went with a higher rated clutch.

Yeah, that's why the stg3 keeps popping into my head. Rather be safe than sorry.

Anyone in the NY Queens/LI area that has replaced their clutch that can recommend a good shop? I've reached out to Vinnyten, PAS & MRP so far.

If I was going to go through it again, I probably would've gone for the ACT HDG6 instead of the HDSS for my E85 setup.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of injectors and a fuel pump if you're going E85. WBO2 gauge is highly recommended as well.

I was always under the impression that you can switch when your gas light goes on, I can go fillup with 93 or e85, change the map right before turning it back on and carry on. So you have to fully drain/siphon it every time you switch?