LegacyGT.com

No matter what im keeping my legy for a winter car, but idk what to get im thinkin bout a 15k budget and to buy before the years out. I know I need a stick and no front wheel and I want power, alot of power. Any ideas? And keep in mind I will mod so something with a good aftermarket is a huge plus. I just dont have any other ideas past a mustang really:confused:

I dont fit in a miata so how would I fitinto an s2000 :lol: but that c5 is an idea

Bring lots of $$ if you decide to get into a 'Vette. Everything is expensive... parts, aftermarket, special tools... ask me how I know... :p

Bring lots of $$ if you decide to get into a 'Vette. Everything is expensive... parts, aftermarket, special tools... ask me how I know... :p

Vette has 115k miles on it. Only thing I replaced were tires and a wheel bearing. Cost me 140 for the wheel bearing. I know you had a bad experience with yours but the vette is considered one of the cheapest performance cars on the market by many crowds.

Cant do german to much of a pain in the ass to work on, test drove a 07 mustang 5 speed 4.6 v8 today and working for ford, its probly my best choice and with a solid aftermarket. But when I drove it it just felt right

Cant do german to much of a pain in the ass to work on, test drove a 07 mustang 5 speed 4.6 v8 today and working for ford, its probly my best choice and with a solid aftermarket. But when I drove it it just felt right

Pain in the ass? I'm assuming you don't know anything about the e36 because it is literally one of the easiest cars to work on from the past 20 years.

Seems like you're hell bent on buying a Mustang. Save up and buy a Coyote powered Mustang. You'll drop a ton of money trying to make an 07 GT truly fast, but in the end you'll get spanked by a bolt on 11+ GT in both acceleration and handling.

Granted my german experiance is limited, but what german cars ive seen has been a royal pain In the ass. And this is more of a fun daily really and im still open to opinions but I just had the opertunity to test drive that mustang and nothing else that people have sugested have presented themselfs. And I gotta say an audi s7 I've driven at work really did rip but its also just a little out of price range lol

Mustang GTs were slow from 1972 to 2011 when the 5.0 came out again. A well driven ls2 GTO or ls1 f-body would put a 4-5 car lengths or more on a 07 GT in the 1/4mile. And the f-bodys are cheaper. And IMO a ws6 looks better than a 07 gt.

Mustang GTs were slow from 1972 to 1987 when the 5.0 came out again.

Fixed it for you. I know you don't like them, but the reality is the Fox 5.0s owned the dragstrip until the LS series motors came out. I know, 'cause I was in the middle of it. The GM guys that were serious about late model cars weren't racing Camaros, they were running Grand Nationals.

I do agree that all of the 'modular' 4.6 based motors were unremarkable, and the Coyote 5.0 is the best motor ever put in a Mustang.

They are slow compared to todays standards. They were quick little cars stock or close to stock back in 1987 because they were small and light... not because the 5.0 was a good engine. But they weren't really fast. There were still plenty of small block chevy and big block cars at the dragstrip that could tear a 5.0 a new one. But we aren't in 1987. We are in 2014 so what happened at the drag strips then doesn't really matter right now. The foxbodies are slow.

I also don't think all of the 4.6 cars were unremarkable. The dual overhead cam engines weren't horrible. They just didn't have that much more room for improvement N/A. And the 4.6 S/C engine in the 03/04 cobras was pretty cool.

We are in 2014 so what happened at the drag strips then doesn't really matter right now. The foxbodies are slow.

You made a blanket statement about Mustangs from 1972 to 2010. I called you on it, now you want to change the discussion...

The Fox Mustangs are arguably the reason we have such great choices now. If not for the 5.0 GT, Camaros would probably still have 175hp, if they still existed at all. And they weren't, and aren't slow. In the late 80's, factory 'performance cars' ran 14s and 15s. Supercars ran 13s, and a 12 second daily driver was rare. Going 13s in a 5.0 was nothing, and 12s were pretty easy. There are plenty of street Fox Mustangs out there today running 10s and 11s on the strip, and I was running 11s in 1992 with a stock longblock and bolt ons. You're just wrong. Sure there were dedicated drag cars running faster with SBC and BBC motors, but they weren't driving to the strip with A/C and getting 20+ mpg. Late model Camaros were rare at the strip until the 4th gen cars, at least they were on the West Coast.

If the small Ford was a bad engine, then so was the SBC... Chevy needed a 5.7 to make the same power as the 5.0. Judging it against the LS, which has the benefit of 30 additional years of factory development, is obtuse.

Things have assuredly moved on, and the LS is now the king, but that doesn't doesn't mean everything that came before it was junk. By your logic, a P-51 was a POS because an F-22 would smoke it, but that's just ignorant.

You made a blanket statement about Mustangs from 1972 to 2010. I called you on it, now you want to change the discussion...

The Fox Mustangs are arguably the reason we have such great choices now. If not for the 5.0 GT, Camaros would probably still have 175hp, if they still existed at all. And they weren't, and aren't slow. In the late 80's, factory 'performance cars' ran 14s and 15s. Supercars ran 13s, and a 12 second daily driver was rare. Going 13s in a 5.0 was nothing, and 12s were pretty easy. There are plenty of street Fox Mustangs out there today running 10s and 11s on the strip, and I was running 11s in 1992 with a stock longblock and bolt ons. You're just wrong. Sure there were dedicated drag cars running faster with SBC and BBC motors, but they weren't driving to the strip with A/C and getting 20+ mpg. Late model Camaros were rare at the strip until the 4th gen cars, at least they were on the West Coast.

If the small Ford was a bad engine, then so was the SBC... Chevy needed a 5.7 to make the same power as the 5.0. Judging it against the LS, which has the benefit of 30 additional years of factory development, is obtuse.

Things have assuredly moved on, and the LS is now the king, but that doesn't doesn't mean everything that came before it was junk. By your logic, a P-51 was a POS because an F-22 would smoke it, but that's just ignorant.

I'm not changing the discussion. The mustang 5.0 from the foxbody years was not a good engine. Doesn't mena in a lightweight platform it can't perform. The 5.0 lx notchbacks could be as low as 2800lbs, which was really light for the time. The dsms 2.0 had many flaws as an engine as well, didn't mean they can't be fast.

Only 175hp? The 350 tpi came out in 1985 with 245hp????? It was just in a bigger heavier car. Nobody had to wait for the ls1 to come out for gm to make more power, it was making more power before the 1987 stang. The lt1, lt4 and lt5 also made quite a bit more power than the 5.0. The 5.0 was bad engine because of the block design. Many have cracked down the lifter valley. People were making 500+hp with a sbc, were people doing that with the 5.0 N/A??? No because it can't even make that power and when people do it on boost they sometimes crack the lifter valley

I wasn't judging the ls1 against the 5.0.... you started this debate. I was judging the ls1 against a 07 gt with the 4.6 3 valve engine. Which made less power had less of a powerband and came out almost a full decade after the ls1.

Once again we aren't in 1987, so none of this discussion plays a part in the OP purchases.

Camaro didn't get a 350 'till '87 model year. And it was 225hp. And you could only get it with an automatic. '85 5.0 (chevy) was 215, downrated to 190 for '86, and back to 215 for '87, the first year you could get a manual trans w/ 5.0 in the IROC. First year for 245hp was 1990.

LX notchbacks were ~3100 stock, unless you special ordered a no A/C, crank window stripper. You could get it to 2800, but it took some work. And I wouldn't really call an engine flawed, just because it breaks at 2x it's designed output... :lol:

Nobody back then made 500hp NA with a stock block 5.0 SBC. 400+ inch SBC, sure, but they were carbed, and not DD cars. And you could do the same with a stroked Windsor, so what's your point?

You can hate on the Fords all you want, but when you're blowing smoke, I'm gonna call you on it.

Archived