LegacyGT.com

MPG of driving slow vs. fast

So for just slowing it down a little you saved $6. Multiply that times I guess maybe 8 fillups a month for most people = $48

Most people only fill up about 3 times a month, maybe 4.

I drive about 25,000 miles a year, and I only fill up about 6 times a month. Most people drive closer to 15,000 miles per year, maybe less.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drive about 30,000 miles per year with my Subie, most of it highway.

I am a fast driver, with average speed 80-85 mpg. When driving agressively, I get around 22mpg. When driving no faster than 80, revving no higher than 4k, I get around 24 mpg. That's a difference of around 113 gallons per year. That difference is not worth it to me to drive slowly....the fun factor is worth that much to me!

Subiedoo

i get around 22-23mpg with 70% highway @ 75-80mph. i drive 700 miles per week, i have to get gas 8-9 times a month.

since i just got a ticket for 80mph in a 55mph zone today, i will get a chance to test my mileage at speeds around 65/75mph - i hope to get around 25-26mpg

but it is nice to get paid for mileage... and drive for free (car note, gas included, and insurance)!!!

I think that people don't really understand what grandma driving really is.

When I mean I drive like a grandma I mean it. Pull out and don't get up to 60 for almost a minute. Drift every possible downhill there is. Never get above 3000 rpm if possible. 70MPH highway max. Never sit and idle.

I am not saying I like driving like this at all. But if you drove like this you would see a lot bigger gain the 2 mpg. It is almost retarded and dangerous to drive this slow. But if it saves me $ then I need to do it. $ is tight sometimes. Others it isn't so I wouldn't need to worry as much. But to lose all of my "fun" money on gas SUCKS.

For me it isn't about saving a few bucks. It is about being able to go grocery shopping vs eating junk for the month. If I slam the gas now I will be filling up 1-2 times a week at $50 a pop. If I just take it easy and ease into throttle and use cruise control I have been averaging 10-14 days on a tank at the same cost.

So for me it is either

100-150 a month in gas @ $3+/gal or

300-400 a month in gas @ $3+/gal

you can clearly see what driving like grandma does for me. And I only have a 13 mile commute. Driving hard costs ya

You're saying you doubled your mileage just by driving slower?!?

FWIW, I see a slight increase in mileage when I slow down, but nothing that dramatic. I usually get around 26-27 highway mpg when driving normally and maybe 28-29 when driving conservatively (per the onboard calculator). It's tough to gage any increases in city mileage - too many variables other than speed...

I've done 30mpg in town before...

lol fillup right after a 3 hour freeway trip, then into town with the car nice and warm. BTW I went over a fairly steep and twisty pass as part of this. Usual MPG across that is 14 or so. Lolz going faster than the porka boxters... with a 42" fan strapped to the roof.

not sure exactly what it is..but my mileage rocks at 40 on cruisecontrol..sometimes dipping down too 35 if i am really bored..and for calculating your avergae pg..do you really have to do it the same way everytime..i figured as long as you are figuring exactly how much gas you are putting in..after the first tank you should be able to have a basepoint..then it doesn't matter if you put it till thhe first click, or if you pump an extra gallon in so long as you are paying attention to how much you are putting in..plus i think different pumps have different cut off points..just my .02

im averageing 23.5mpg mixture of city and high way driving

i get too tempted going thru certain turns in my area

but it cost me 41$ to fill up my tank @ 2.99 earlier this week

better then filling up at 3.31$ the pervious week

i was litterally and old man driving the car that week

nothing more then 2.5k rpm

im averageing 23.5mpg mixture of city and high way driving

i get too tempted going thru certain turns in my area

but it cost me 41$ to fill up my tank @ 2.99 earlier this week

better then filling up at 3.31$ the pervious week

i was litterally and old grandma driving the car that week

nothing more then 2.5k rpm[/quote0