LegacyGT.com

Throttle stop which is correct

Ok someone plays with the throttle stop and it is either a great danger as expressed or adjust to your liking.

In these pictures -

Both are 95 2.2 with EGR

One is in my 95 Legacy

One is transplanted in my 97 Outback

Both idle smoothly

Both have the TPS set at what looks to be the same spot

The difference is in the shift points. The transplant hunts and at times seems to lag in gear. The forum has said it is something that can't be solved without adding a switch to make the trans be a bit more aggressive.

What confuses me is how can both cars have different throttle plate adjustments (angle) and run well.

What I am really, REALLY looking for is the throttle plate gap. I am sure the manufacturer sets the same gap on every engine. Is it a secret? No way would they stop the line, start the car, fiddle with the throttle plate to tune each car. If they all have the same computer, same throttle, they would all have the same throttle gap.

"As the throttle opens, the TP sensor relays the exact throttle angle to the PCM. Most often, the throttle angle is displayed as “TP percent” (see Photo 2). Armed with this information, the PCM controls (among many other issues) spark timing, air/fuel ratio and gear shift modulation in the automatic transmission. As the throttle opens, the transmission raises gearshift points to allow the engine to develop more torque."

I hope the pictures show the difference in the stop gap on each engine.

The 2.2 transplant gap is .036

The 2.2 legacy wagon is .078

1667087783_2.2inthelegacy.jpg.ecfa615891b0346007eba12d802d8524.jpg

1289557031_2.2transplant.jpg.9360bad49258c2d0ecb09a44e225b099.jpg

if you are measuring the gap of that sticky-outie-thing that moves when you press the accelerator,

you are wasting your time.

the computer controls the idle.

give it up.

leave it alone.

do not touch it.

it does not matter.

you are going to f.u.c.k it up.

leave it the f.u.c.k. alone.

or better yet,

pour sugar in the gas tank and then drive the car.

it will be a sweet ride.

and then you will have tons to work on.

if the throttle bodies and / or the engines and / or the cars

were all machined to perfection.

there would be no need for adjustment.

but they are not.

but once adjusted so they run well,

why in gods name would you change the adjustment to match ANOTHER engine.

the adjustment is specific to your engine.

move on.

or i'll start calling you dirty names.

Ouch! :lol:

Ok I guess I am coming from my 18 years of owning Jaguars. When the good book said to set the throttle plate to .002 it meant it. How many unknowing mechanics screwed up the setting by not going by the good book, by setting idle by using the throttle cable? A lot. The owners ended up with idle problems, shift problems etc., found their way to the Jag-lover forum and we showed them the protocol to set up the engine management.

There was a procedure to set the base idle but you had to set the Throttle Plate first to .002 or the computer didn't know what was going on. Only with a correct plate setting could the computer do its job correctly.

They are a 2.2 the same engine are they not? The computer eprom is set to monitor the same thing, the same way on every car. Now of course I guess if the engine has problems such as intake gasket leaks you may see a different setting to over come some issue

There must be a protocol, on computer management going by ear anymore doesn't cut it. I have no idea who set up the car, what method they used, etc. There must be a procedure and that is all I want to know.

The computer will do its damned best to control the idle no matter what the gap is but that doesn't mean the car is running at optimum condition.

This I do know. Someone changed the throttle stop because they put a red mark on it. So the question remains...who did it and is it correct?

John did take me to the wood shed. :lol::);)

Oh and BTW since John Egg is much further ahead on the Subbie knowledge curve....I'll take his advice and leave it where it is.

:lol: :lol:

The most emotion i've ever seen from you, john lol

Archived