LegacyGT.com

Ej22 to ej253

• 4 months later...

Hello, I have a 99 legacy ej223 phase II automatic. I tore down the block since it had a rod knock on piston #1. The crankshaft is toasted on the journal and the rod is too. It's probably going to cost about 3 bills to get those part to put back together so i thought it would be better to just pick up a complete motor at the junkyard.

This morning I jumped the gun, picked up a ej251 long block with all the ej253 external parts like: intake manifold, alternator, ac compressor, power steering pump, y exhaust manifold, all block sensors, and ecu. Forester 99 has the ej251 and Forester 01 has the ej253.

I will be using the powersteering pump and the ac compressor from the ej223 since the lines has not been opened.

I've been researching quite a bit on trying to make this swap works and i haven't read across someone having done it. I know the phase II parts are interchangeable, but will the engine harness plug up into the harness going into the body with no issues? Will i have to do the body harness merge?

If you guys could please help point me into the best direction to go about with all the parts that i have. I'm want to lean towards using the ej253 ecu, but will go the route with no cel codes to pass smog and running good. Does using the ej253 ecu mean i would need the ej253 heads since it has vvl. Whatever route it is, i will be replacing all the seals and headgaskets. I just dont feel like splitting the block again if i dont need to.

I will be looking forward to all the knowledgeable suggestions you all have. Thanks!!! I will definitely appreciate all the help.

Archived