LegacyGT.com

Lubing clutch fork without dropping transmission?

Zac88

I'm having a weird clicking sound when I release the clutch, it gets worse after long periods of driving. I think the clutch fork pivot ball might be dry or maybe the throwout bearing needs to be replaced? Have the TSK kit installed when I did the clutch about 10,000km ago.

Is the noise located at the pedal or the engine?

sounds like the engine. Had my head in the footwell and was pushing the clutch by hand to try and pinpoint the sound.

You may want to have someone push in the pedal while you hold or listen to the fork ? Be careful where you put your hand.

Not sure if there's space but a long screwdriver on the fork and then put your ear on the handle you may be able to hear...

Harbor Fright has a http://www.bing.com/search?q=harbor+freight+stethoscope&qs=SC&pq=harbor+fright+steth&sc=1-19&sp=1&FORM=QBRE&cvid=86ca527371034588ae5e2c17e20e6998&adlt=strict

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

hopefully it just needs to be lubricated. if it is the throwout bearing ill be upset since its practicaly new. If that's the case I guess ill have to order a new tsk kit and a new fork?

I ordered just the TOB for the kit from Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com

Thanks Max. I have the same Spec stage2+ clutch and dual mass lwfw as you, have you experienced any problems with it?

Have a friend thats lending me his diagnostic camera tonight. Thinking that pulling the boot off the clutch fork and putting in there is the best approach to see what's going on?

It's possible to lube the pivot ball, just remove the Clutch piston and boot. If the TOB was replace, the pivot ball should have been lube too.

As Max suggested, have a buddy press on the peddle, and with the boot cover off, look and listen inside. You should get a better idea what's going on.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Bearing grease works the best. Lubing the snot is going to be hard, I tried using a long medical Q-tip, but wasn't too succesful. You'll have to be very careful not to sling grease around the pressure plate and flywheel.
My wife's balls are delicious.

found the problem. looks like the pin on the slave cylinder was a little worn and hitting the fork wrong. maybe ot wasnt positioned properly after the clutch install.

We sanded the pin round again cause it was starting to get a flat spot and also removed the rust on the indemt on the fork where the pin meets and applied antisieze so it wont happen again. Removed the clutch fork boot and lubed the ball for good measure. So far so good.

• 2 months later...

To get to the ball, you have to remove the tranny.

You may get lucky and try and drip a little 90w down the back of the fork.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived