LegacyGT.com

tpms question

Ok so my tire pressure light has been on and staying on for a while didn't pay much attention to it cause it would come on in the mornings when I'd leave for work and just figured it was because of the cold air so yesterday I had time and pumped all 4 tires up a good amount ( there weren't that low ) just wanted to make sure the damn thing would go out but anyways now it starts to blink for a minute or two then stays on starting to irritate me but I was thinking that maybe there is a bad sensor somewhere my question is I'm going to be getting a new set of rims in about a month or so should I just get 4 new tpms as well?

I like the 3/4" square of black electircal tape over the light trick, it's much cheaper.

I do that in the winter time when I put the other set of stock rims with snowtires on my Spce B.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The FSM makes it sounds like the main tpms unit inside the car that reads the sensors might have a problem. But like you, I'm wondering if the problem might be a bad wheel sensor.

In your shoes, I would first go underneath the driver seat, and disconnect, and reconnect the harness from the main tpms computer. I think I remember reading that the tpms computer doesn't see the sensors until the car is driving over 20mph, so you might have to do a bit of driving after to see if that fixes the problem. Pictures of the tpms computer in the link below.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tpms-ran-two-sets-wheels-no-light-108338.html

I remember years ago I had a problem with the tpms light staying on after putting air in my tires, and I ended up taking the car to subaru. I got very lucky, and the dealer I took it to got rid of the light at no charge. They didn't tell me what happened, because I did do a decent amount of driving and the light still didn't go away, so I think it was just a fluke. I'm wondering if resetting the ecu could fix the problem? Just trying to think of ways to troubleshoot this for free to see if things can get straightened out before you buy new wheels.

+1 on the 3/4" square of black electrical tape. TPMS is such an unreliable system... and of course now mandated in the name of safety... and now most tire shops won't even touch your car if it came from factory with it, and you don't have TPMS on your aftermarket wheels!

IMHO you will be wasting money on new TPMS as they still won't work on cold mornings, and, or will go bad (which sounds to me like what you are dealing with - a bad sensor)... but if you are trying to have your local tire shop install your new wheels onto your vehicle, well, refer back to earlier statement about *safety requirements*!

Archived