LegacyGT.com

tire size for LGT'06

dkodyl

I have a good deal for 225-45-17 Conti's. Could I put them with no problem on stock rims?(215-45-17)

Which conti? These will fit great - a little wider contact patch I think is a good thing. However, while some conti's are really good, others are sub-par. I take it you're sure you want these?

G/L

please read the rim/tire FAQ I posted... that will answer 90% of the questions you may have.

Yes, 225/45/17 works on stock rims.

And the taller tire at that size is no big deal as it's still within the 2% tolerance. I also posted minor notes per each tire size that works with our GT from 17" to 19" tires.

I am actually running some tires that are larger than 2% and it's fine as well. The termanology for taller tires = taller gearing but a "higher" final drive ratio (meaning bigger the number) means it's faster acceleration or shorter gearing.

Keefe

Keefe

Oh, sorry, I wasn't positive if it was a higher or lower final drive ratio; I just knew that taller tires would theoretically hurt acceleration.

If the 225/45's are, say, 1.5% taller, does that mean that acceleration will be 1.5% slower?

no, it's only means it's off by that much for the distance covered. And it's not a bad thing to have taller gearing for the good balance of top speed vs. acceleration. Also, a lighter wheel can solve the acceleration problem since it's about mass need to move around.. it's still a recipical of torque product..

You can go with a really lightweight rim and tire to compensate or even better the situation of going with a taller tire.

Remember, if the car makes it really easy to spin the tire, the only left over restriction is how fast the wheel can spin and that depends your redline vs. your top gear.. and we all dont want to go past our redline.

Keefe

Keefe

• 5 months later...
please read the rim/tire FAQ I posted... that will answer 90% of the questions you may have.

Yes, 225/45/17 works on stock rims.

And the taller tire at that size is no big deal as it's still within the 2% tolerance. I also posted minor notes per each tire size that works with our GT from 17" to 19" tires.

I am actually running some tires that are larger than 2% and it's fine as well. The termanology for taller tires = taller gearing but a "higher" final drive ratio (meaning bigger the number) means it's faster acceleration or shorter gearing.

Keefe

Keefe,

A taller overall diameter tire means slower acceleration and potentially higher top speed. A smaller tire will give you faster acceleration.

Please explain if I've misunderstood.

T

Keefe,

A taller overall diameter tire means slower acceleration and potentially higher top speed. A smaller tire will give you faster acceleration.

Please explain if I've misunderstood.

What he said was that a "higher" final drive ratio (meaning bigger the number) means it's faster acceleration or shorter gearing. That was separate from his statement that taller tires = taller gearing .

Jag - no issues on the fitment even with any lowered springs.

GT2.5 - it can mean slower acceleration, but you might have to double check your tire weight.. remember, you trying to convert that energy through the least amount of resistance to make it possible for faster acceleration. As for the taller "gearing", yes, you will get more mph per gear. You got it right for your thoughts, but these two issues are fairly minor when it comes to daily driving...

Keefe

go to "discount tire. com", they have a tire calulator that tells you a comparision between two sizes of tires i.e. 214-45-17 verses 225-45-17, revs per mile, height, width, ect., i'm putting on the 225's, bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

That's pretty cool. :)

Thanks.

I wish it would allow you to adjust some of the spec's though.

It uses an average and not the actual spec of a particular tire.

Even within the same listed size tire, different tires from different manufacturers have variance in overall diameter by more than 1/4".

Of course that's a bit minor, but it would cooler if you could input manufacturers data for a more accurate speed difference.

Still, that's a cool calculator.

Thanks again for the link.

T

Archived