LegacyGT.com

clunking noise while turning help please

On my 08 LGT I started hearing a slight pop/clunk when turning the wheel about half way. At first I noticed it while turning left and tonight on my way home I noticed it while turning right. I also feel some vibration coming up to the steering wheel as I get over 60. Just so everyone knows what has been done on the car so far within the past two months I've put new rotors, pads, calipers, OEM wheel bearings, outer tie rods. I also had the wheels balanced a couple weeks ago and had an alignment done this past weekend. Just bought this car a year ago and it's killing me to spend so much on maintenance already, it only has 66k.

The car has to park on the street so I don't have the space or tools to get underneath and check it myself. Just wanted some insight so I don't get ripped off at the mechanic. Thanks for any help.

CV joint is the first thing that comes to mind. See if one of the CV boots is ripped, they normally make a clicking sound not a clunking sound.

You had the calipers replaced ?

all 4 wheel bearings ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Going for the really easy answer... Are all the lug nuts tight?

Lugs are all tight.

Max Ill check the CV joints. And yes I did have the calipers replaced and all 4 wheel bearings as well. What about lower control arm bushings?

Those are something they a lot of us have replaced. But I would have thought the alignment place would have told you if something there looked bad...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Took the car into the shop and they are telling me the left side of the axle is cracked. Also they are trying to charge me $200 for a re manned one or $350 for a so called heavy duty one and just for one side and if I'm seeing right Rockauto has the CV half shaft for about $50 per side. Need a quick response please so I can tell them what to do with it. Tnaks for all the help.

Update again. Just spoke to them and its the cv boot that's ripping apart. You guys were right. I know ill probably get some crap for this but what I didn't mention was I put a set of isc coilovers about a month ago. The mechanic seems to think that by lowering the car I put pressure on the axle and ill keep having this problem. Anyhing on this?

Yea, don't drop it to low. Yea it looks cool but Honda's have the same issues when dropped too low.

Will do. Wasn't looking to drop it too low just about 1.5 inches all the way round. Had bilsteins with h&r springs on my last car and figured ill try these for the adjustability and they don't bottom out on these crappy roads.

Archived