LegacyGT.com

2.2 transplant is done

Took my car to my guy on Tuesday and he installed the 2.2 on Thursday. Today I picked up the car. It idles like a kitten purrs. Looking in the engine bay and seeing a 2.2 instead of a 2.5 DOHC makes me happy.

He did say that when he first started it up there was a code, 1507 I believe. He pulled the plugs, did a compression check and it was (if I remember) 165 all around or did he say 170 something. Anyway it was good. He installed the brand new plugs from my old 2.5 and went in for lunch. Came out, started the car and the codes were gone. he drove it 12 miles and no codes. I drove it home through traffic, up and down hills and no codes.

I had my scanner attached and it is run ready for inspection. This is good news. After a year of messing with that old 2.5 it is a relief.

I am going to pick up the 2.5 and check out a few things on it. Maybe pull the heads, etc just to figure out why it was throwing a #4 misfire. Even with the misfire it was a rather strong engine.

I have new oil separator plate (with new screws) , rear main, intake gasket, exhaust gaskets, bottom pan gasket and good compression.

I'll pour another glass of wine or pop open a beer!!

Now to get the darn thing inspected. I still have the fear it will throw a code. My 95 Legacy used to throw the EGR code but for some reason stopped.

I wonder if placing a 95 engine in a 97 car can get me an exemption. In my State 95 and below doesn't need to pass the emissions crap.

Nope you'll still have to pass inspection. Your egr code is or was probably the vacuum solenoid. That's what usually fails on Subarus. Did the 2.5 have brand new plugs in it cuz at $3 per plug I don't see why used plugs were installed.

Yes my old 2.5 had brand new plugs. They weren't $3 a piece, more like $12. When I was trying to solve the 2.5 problem, I originally bought ones from the local parts store, later found that those plugs weren't the exact numbered plug. So off this forum, I got the correct plug numbers and went to NAPA for them. They weren't the $3 plug that I originally purchased but were more like $11 or $12 each.

My 95 Legacy used to blow an EGR code but stopped doing it. It's been a year now and no code.

My scan tool shows I am run ready. With a 95 engine I wish I could get it registered as a 95 because in my State a 95 doesn't need to be hooked up to the State computer. In my State a 95 car is a look and see.....they look to make sure all emission parts are installed and only test the gas cap.

Even better is if you live 20 miles to the west in a different country. Doesn't matter about the year of the car, they don't have the emission test that you hook up to the State computer. The same is true if you live 30 miles north in that country.

The guy did mention that he went back over the vac lines and saw he had one incorrectly attached. SO maybe that was the deal.

Nope you'll still have to pass inspection. Your egr code is or was probably the vacuum solenoid. That's what usually fails on Subarus. Did the 2.5 have brand new plugs in it cuz at $3 per plug I don't see why used plugs were installed.

Now all I need is an inspection sticker. It has been a long road and appreciate all the help.

I need to PM you for your address to send back your injectors. :)

It will be a while until I feel comfortable that no CEL is going to appear. My 95 Legacy has been CEL clean for a year. I've been driving the Outback a bit without an inspection sticker but only in my area where I know several police officers. And only during their shift.

After all that you've gone through I am glad you finally got your car back.

Enjoy.

O.

In my state only the big counties have emission testing. So we just have to say vehicle kept in a county without emission testing and no testing is needed. Not saying I do this. Hehe.

At $12 per plug your running iridium plugs. I just run platinum and they're fine. Imo there's no need for expensive plugs when they don't require them. I don't even run iridium plugs in my Supra, heck I don't even run platinum plugs. Copper is the way to go in the 2jzs running large power. Good thing they are easy to change cuz I change them often.

I swallowed hard when I bought those puppies at $12 a plug.

With all the problems I was trying to solve I looked up what the plug number that the good book said to use. It was one of the last ditch efforts to save the 2.5.

In my state only the big counties have emission testing. So we just have to say vehicle kept in a county without emission testing and no testing is needed. Not saying I do this. Hehe.

At $12 per plug your running iridium plugs. I just run platinum and they're fine. Imo there's no need for expensive plugs when they don't require them. I don't even run iridium plugs in my Supra, heck I don't even run platinum plugs. Copper is the way to go in the 2jzs running large power. Good thing they are easy to change cuz I change them often.

Copper is the way to go in the 2jzs running large power. Good thing they are easy to change cuz I change them often.

and thats why i run the platinums in my truck. i have iridiums in the wagon (was trying to get rid of a misfire code as well) and usually plats in the GT. the son put coppers in it when he did the tune up last month, im going to check them for wear in july and see how they fared for the summer heat.

Archived