LegacyGT.com

Do I need a re-tune changing exhaust setups?

bg.

Hey there,

I have an 06 LGT which has been protuned by a local shop, and have the magnaflow catback with a 3" mid pipe and a 2.5" y-pipe into dual mufflers.

What I want to do is keep my 3" mid pipe, and run one single 3" muffler and have a shop weld a pipe up to it from the mid.

Would it be necessary to retune when changing my exhaust setup like this? Or would it still flow relatively the same and I could just reset the ecu and let it relearn?

Thanks!!

My sti friend has always told me that if you change a headlight in these cars you need a retune lol. But in all seriousness, if you have the tools to do pulls yourself and pull learning views you should be able to tell if you need a refreshed tune.

I would venture to guess that it will not be that far off, but when I changed header/UP combo for a different brand as well as upgrading to a Perrin turbo inlet my tune was noticeably off. No knocking, but spool/boost and a CL load comp table my previous tuner did were affected

I didn't think so either, dp and headers is what makes the big difference, I just though from going from 2 mufflers and a y pipe to one can would make a change in back pressure

All I can say is that if you do change you should at least keep an eye on the state of the tune if at all possible. I had a friend with a '13 WRX blow his motor on the stock tune in under 10k miles and he was running around with no mufflers... just sayin'.

Archived