LegacyGT.com

Looking at 05-07 LGT's

hey guys im no noob to subarus or legacy's im just looking to ask a few questions from you more seasoned legacy guys :lol: i currently have an 01 Forester which ill be parting with to get a legacy :icon_sad:

so im 18 in a few days and im wanting to get into an 05-07 LGT because they meet my price range that ill be able to get. 8-13k. so where my questions are is

1.) what are the benefits or downfalls of an older model 05-06

2.) specific legacy related issues to look for when looking at a car

3.) insurance companies. who will tend to be a little cheaper but still god to deal with. ill be getting my own policy so i know ill be looking at around 200 which im fine with.

4.) benfits of a newer model? ie: options, powertrain changes, interior etc.

ill edit if i think of other questions. thanks in advance guys! :icon_mrgr

You really won't reap any benefit from having an LGT, nor will you fully respect the car for what it is and can be until you're about 25. I know, I know, you're a straight-A student and very mature for your age n' shit. .

No matter what you do, DO NOT sign on any LGT until you've had it inspected by a local Subaru specialty shop. NOT a generic import shop, and not some good 'ol boy mechanic that you trust because he's your older brother's best drinking buddy. Hop into the local forums for your region and find out where folks recommend you take it.

Watch out for blown turbos, oil leaks, and coolant problems. An engine rebuild will cost you at least 5k - Keep that in mind when you're buying one. When things go wrong, they go wrong fast and catastrophically.

You're 18 and hopping into a car that's not only AWD, but turbocharged as well. While most insurance carriers only really care about the AWD part, if you've got a payment on it, you'll need full coverage. Expecting to pay $200/mo is reasonable. Are you seriously willing to pay nearly $500/mo to own and drive a car?

As an insurance agent, I can tell you that you should seriously consider a 100/300/100 policy limit. This is adequate protection for you, your parents, your future, and anyone you may hurt, should the worst happen. Throw the renter's insurance on there while you're at it -- worldwide coverage for your shit if it's left in your car and gets stolen. (Little known fact -- Most carriers don't cover stuff stolen out of your car that's not attached to it, like a cd/dvd player/screen, only the damage done to it -- broken windows, locks, etc.) Having that added benefit is practically free when combined with a multi-policy discount with most major carriers. No one single carrier has better rates for Subarus than any others -- they all use the same actuarial data. Data that indicates that 18 year olds in Subarus = High likelihood of accidents and claims.

Does your Fozzy run and drive well right now? If yes, my suggestion is that you keep it until it doesn't and then fix it. It'll be far cheaper in the long run. If you retain anything I've said here, this should be it.

You're 18, dude. If you're not in college, you'll be heading there soon, and honestly, it'll be the "broke years" of your life unless you plan on selling drugs or get a really good-paying job that's flexible with your college schedule and lack of real-world skills. I know this sounds like an insult now, but just recognize that it's the truth and I'm telling it to you straight: LGTs are high maintenance and are not cost-effective in any sense of the word without major thousands invested to get them to that point.

You want good advice? Here it is: Don't buy an LGT. Get a regular one instead and save your money for something better down the road when you're more financially stable after graduation.

Keep the Forester ^ good thought's right there.

If not going to college, what are your plans for a good income ?

GT's need lots of TLC to keep them running well. There are great bang for the buck, but you have to have the income so you can pay to play.

Are you good with tools and have a place to work on the car ? I bought my wagon new late june 2004, I have paid for it twice +. I love the car and it's my DD, see my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i may only have a few years into subarus but i do know my stuff quite well. my first 2 years of school are paid for, i have government grant money and a college fund. i have a job lined up that starts me at 11$ an hour at a local subaru dealer. ill likely wait till i have at least a $1500 down payment. im know your trying to be helpful with your advice but im not going to get into something i cant handle. if something does go wrong on the car i know how to do it for the most part. ive done a few shortblock's already and ive learned how to do valve adjustments on the shim over bucket style heads in the turbo models. before i do buy one itll get a complete leak down test and full inspection. i do have a family member with an 05 LGT who is willing to trade me cars plus money on my side and ill likley go that route since hes the only owner and takes immaculate care. i know it may sound like im coming off cocky but i do know subaru's quite well. also i have ample tools and places to work on it if needed. my uncle and grandpa both have shops which i could use and i have my own tools at home. also ive gotten a few qoutes for insurance and my parents have agreed to let me stay on their policy, ill be paying $110 for an 07 with it so that cuts costs down. i usually spend 40$ in gas a week in the forester i do a lot of driving. my house is about 5 miles from anything so thats just an inconvenience sometimes. so i say $110 for insurance probaly like $130-180 for a car payment and $150 for gas a month since ill be getting better mileage in a 5mt rather than my 4EAT in the forester. and about 900$ a month of income will allow me to afford it. i also sell parts online for my uncles shop so that can vary highly. thats my response im not sure if its right or not but it seems ill be able to afford it :)

That's the info we needed to know. Sounds like you have it planned out, you should be fine.

These cars get around 22-24mpg in normal driving.

Enjoy your legacy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You want something that will kick the ass-end out better than a sedan?

Get a wagon, trust me.

hooning in a wagon that sounds both fun and probably pretty interesting :lol: with a longer body than my forester itd be wild :lol: yet to check out any wagons but ill be looking ;)

I see you've never riden in one of these GT wagons.

Love mine.

Check out boxkita's wagon I think its forsale.

I see you've never riden in one of these GT wagons.

Love mine.

Check out boxkita's wagon I think its forsale.

ive been looking through the FS section here and theyre priced very well compared to local Utah classifieds. i have yet tobe in a GT wagon:spin:

Archived