LegacyGT.com

Low idle after collission

Question... About one year ago I was in an accident where I rear-ended someone at about 15-25 mph (my fault... I know...)

Had hood and bumper replaced and radiator I think. Not much damage it seemed as I drove away from the accident all the way home, and also the the auto-shop 1/2 hour away.

When I picked up the car, I noticed that the idle seemed lower, but it didn't affect anything, so I just ignored it. About a week ago it seems to affect steering performance while stopped. It makes the steering wheel shake when the rpm drops too low around 500-750, and I should point out that if I rev it a little it does not happen. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I'll try this today.

He's not suggesting you reset the ECU, but rather that the ECU might have been reset during the repair causing the roughness. But that roughness would have evened out with a few miles of driving.

Intake air temp sensor damaged on the MAF?

I'm not sure how to tell if this is damaged or not. Do you have any suggestions? Anything I can check that would indicate if it was damaged or not? Thank you so much for your help :)

I'm tempted to say reset the ecu again even though that shouldn't be the problem after a year. How many miles on your spark plugs? Might just be a weird coincidence that the plugs are getting worn.

I'm tempted to say reset the ecu again even though that shouldn't be the problem after a year. How many miles on your spark plugs? Might just be a weird coincidence that the plugs are getting worn.

Actually, I purchased some spark plugs about a month ago and just haven't put them in. I don't know, but have reason to believe, that they have never been changed and the car has 130,000 miles on it. Think this could be it? I'll try to change them today.

Does it start up with a low idle or does it start high and settle down as it warms up?

When the car starts up it idols at over 1000 RPMs until it warms up. It's when it is already warmed up and idling like steering in the parking lot or in the driveway without moving, that it will happen.

Actually, I purchased some spark plugs about a month ago and just haven't put them in. I don't know, but have reason to believe, that they have never been changed and the car has 130,000 miles on it. Think this could be it? I'll try to change them today.

It's hard to say since the problem seemed to have started after the accident, but it's definitely a possibility.

Subaru calls for 30k intervals on our spark plugs which may be a bit excessive, but I wouldn't want to push them past 60k.

Post #144 in the thread below shows how worn the plugs can get if they are not changed.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5i-spark-plug-tutorial-117769p4.html

The poster of reply #144 said the person wasn't having any driveability issues, which is surprising with a plug that worn.

Archived