LegacyGT.com

For those considering Gates blue timing belt

I thought I would share a pic of my blue Gates timing belt at about 10k miles. It's got about 12k miles now.

As people have mentioned, the blue coating does come off and transfer onto the idler pulleys. Since I hadn't seen any pictures, I'm sharing a pic of mine.

I thought it was pretty significant material transfer. You can feel the difference in height when you run your finger nail across it.

If I were to do this again, I would get the regular black belt. Don't know why they would design something that would do this.

Hopefully in time it comes off the belt and idler completely without causing a problem.

706038107_Timingbeltat10kmi.thumb.jpg.97cfac132648b8d45caeacf7e0d7af01.jpg

I agree Black is beautiful. I will not be using the Kevlar belt because of this issue! I can't see any good coming from a build-up of ? on the machined idler pulley! Ihope you have no issues down the road.:)

I have the blue belt. Very little transfer after 10k. I cleaned the idlers off with a razor and no issues. I have seen people with lots of transfer but i think it was because they did not adjust the guards correctly.

Mine is an automatic. There are no guards to adjust. I'll check it periodically... No way i'm risking using a sharp blade near the belt.

I sent an email to Gates, we'll see if they respond. If so, I'll post here.

Manufacturer doesnt seem to think its a problem. Maybe they figured users dont take a look after installation until its time to change out.

Response from Gates:

Color transfer can and will happen, however it does not compromise the belt itself

CHRIS

Automotive Aftermarket

Applications Research

GATES CORPORATION

1551 Wewatta St

Denver, CO 80202

Telephone + 1.303.744.5192

http://www.gates.com

Archived