LegacyGT.com

What's this noise *please help*

Was the sound more noticeable at the front of the engine? I can't tell. Also will it get quieter when warmed up? Not asking you to go out and start the engine cause it sounds bad.

What's the story on the car like miles, mods, driving habits, maintenance?

It sounds like it's like the front of the passengers side. It's fine for like the first 2 minutes the car is on and then it begins to make the noises. I am the third owner of the car and don't really know how the previous owners treated it. There was 103k miles on the car when I initially got the car and there is now right around 120k on the car and this just started 3 days ago. The mods are

-gfb blow off valve

-td05 16g kinugawa turbo

-catless up pipe

-catless dp

-high flow mid pipe

-obx cat back exhaust

-Perrin short ram intake

I have been pretty easy on the car since I put the turbo in since I was waiting to get it tuned. I was also going to get a new top mount intercooler because mine has a hole from the plastic that connects to the coil part. I've changed the oil with high mileage full synthetic every 3-3.5 k miles when I switched the turbo I also changed oil and coolant. Probably going to be screwed with this one and need to rebuild or get a new block?

no, just get the valve fixed. It could just need a valve relashing. But this is all hypothetical because we don't actually know what the problem is, i'm just guessing its the valves. But bad valve does not equal rebuilding the block. A new cylinder head is around 600 bucks, you have options, but until you get a full diagnosis, I wouldn't say a rebuild is necessary just yet.

To me it sounds like a valve is off and as the engine adjusts the timing (thats why noise isn't constant) its causing the valve to hit the piston. Or its just loose and smacking your piston.

Archived