LegacyGT.com

Official thread for Clutchmaster Clutches longevity issues

JermTheElf

CM Clutch Model: FX350

Car TQ: Unknown. Stage 2 vf52 W/street tune

Flywheel: Brand new WRX SMFW

Chatter experienced?: Yes! Since day 1. No matter what I've tried.

How many miles installed for: 18,000

Reason for removal: Slipping under load in 2-5 gears

Replaced with: Might just go with stock replacement. No track for me.

Happy with replacement?: I hope so. I want to enjoy driving this car again.

What pisses me off is the short warranty and lack of help from CM. I called after about 500 miles when the shudder got really bad and was told it would probably do that until it was fully broken in at 1000-1500 mi. Well by that time the piddly warranty offered was up and I was on my own. I understand that it's not prudent for them to offer a long warranty on a "performance part", but if the customer expresses concern during the warranty period and is told it will take longer to break in, it just seems like the right thing to do is to help them out. Nope. Thanks for the $600.

No. I'm not bitter towards ClutchMasters :rolleyes:

What pisses me off is the short warranty and lack of help from CM. I called after about 500 miles when the shudder got really bad and was told it would probably do that until it was fully broken in at 1000-1500 mi. Well by that time the piddly warranty offered was up and I was on my own. I understand that it's not prudent for them to offer a long warranty on a "performance part", but if the customer expresses concern during the warranty period and is told it will take longer to break in, it just seems like the right thing to do is to help them out. Nope. Thanks for the $600.

No. I'm not bitter towards ClutchMasters :rolleyes:

:spin:

You and me both brother. 90 day warranty is pathetic.. I wish I did more research and gone with South Bend the first time. I've decided to upgrade to a South Bend Stage 2 Endurance, I spoke with John on the phone numerous times and he answered every question I asked.

Warranty? 1 year, or 12,000 miles.

**** you Clutch Masters.

I'm still breaking in my South Bend stage 3 daily and I couldnt be happier. Night and day difference from the fx 350 that finally became undrivable after less than 14,000 miles. I haven't pushed it yet as I'm at about 650 miles and am going to wait till I hit 1000 but I've been in stop and go traffic plenty and have not regretted my decision. I REALLY hope this one lasts...

I wasn't pleased with CM customer support either. I likely will not go with their product again because of it.

So far, this clutch appears to be much better than the last one. I changed how I drive it and pretty much do a clutch drop for every shift. That is apparently key for long life of Kevlar composite clutches.

I currently have 7900 miles on my fx300 have had zero chatter stage 3 Cryo tuned 1 track day still holds fine for now
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

• 4 months later...

Clutch Model: CM FX350

Car TQ: Stage 2 running OTS map for now

Flywheel: New OEM 06 WRX+ SMFW

Chatter: Minimal through initial 1000 kms or so (im in canada) After that got absolutely horrible. Feels like car is falling apart at times

Miles installed for: About 15,000 kms

Reason for removal: Still on the car but needs replacement asap. Started to slip in 3rd 4th 5th gears as soon as i hit boost. Extremely disappointed with this clutch, considering the car hasn't been launched or tracked a single time during the 1 year of having it installed

Replaced with: Looking at Exedy stg 1

IMO you should go with a Spec 2+ clutch. I just replaced my Spec 2 clutch that began to slip at 45,000 miles, with a OEM SMFW and Spec 2+.

The 2+ is much easier then the old 2+ that was in there for 85,000 miles. I have 500 miles on the 2+. I'm impressed with how light the pedal is. Got it from "underdog" PM him about getting you one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Update, 1700 miles on the 2+, it has been flawless, took the car on a 5 hour drive in the snowstorm in northern NH and ME, Sunday, last week. Then drove it back to VT on Friday, then back to CT on Sunday. Very happy with Spec 2+.

Wish I put a SMFW in the car when I did the ej257 3 years ago, fail on my part.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 11 months later...

CM Clutch Model: FX250

Car TQ: 231hp 233tq at the wheels

Flywheel: Brand new 06 WRX SMFW

Chatter experienced?: All the time from a stop unless long feather time at idle or higher revs used

How many miles installed for: About 27k

Reason for removal: Slipping in 4th and 5th, WOT in boost

Replaced with: Will be replaced with Comp Clutch stage 2 kit

Happy with replacement?: Hasn't been installed yet. Will report back after break in

Archived