LegacyGT.com

The Interior Smells Like Musty Pee

I need help from the detailing experts on here. My family recently inherited my Grandpa's 2007 Legacy. Unfortunately for us, my grandfather was incontinent, and the car has cloth seats. After replacing the driver's seat and vacuuming the crap out of it, the interior is cleaner. It still smells like musty piss though. It is getting sent to a detailer, but I'm wondering if there is any hope of getting the smell out?

Do you have a servpro or a fire/water cleanup place around you? They have machines that "defog" smoke smells and stuff out of houses. I used to work for servpro, we used the machine to get the gas smell out of her car after a gascan fell over in the back footwell.

I think there is a local Servpro. I might try them. I've also heard unscented frebreeze or dryer sheets may do something. I've also heard that an ozone generator might be effective. Right now though I just try not be downwind of the car.

Well the car has gone off to be detailed today. It will be a few days before we get it back. Apparently no one has an Ozone generator locally, so the car is just getting an interior detailing (was not my call). Hopefully the detailer can work some wizardry and make it smell decent.

Look around more for ozone generators. I guarantee someone around has them, though I'm not surprised local detailing shops don't. I know my apartment complex routinely uses those (from some home cleaning company) to de-stink apartments of smoke and/or Indian cooking. But they usually run for about 3 days.

Sadly it's not my call. If it was, I would have picked a different detailing shop, and called around. The individual in charge of liquidating the estate (my Mom) seems to only listen to advice that she pays for. Thank you all for your help. You guys are awesome.

If you end up needing a DIY fix, Febreeze plus the sun will probably help. Pull the front seats out of the car, douse liberally with Febreeze, then let them sit in the hot sun for 1-2 days. Repeat 2-3 times, making sure it's 100% dry the final time. That ought to get the smell out. I've done something similar to get out cat pee smell before and was successful.

You can also leave the windows down about a inch or two in the hot sun. I do that with my cars when I can. the air blows through the cleans the air and smells out. The car may have a water leak too.

Is the AC drain hose open ?

They have been known to get plugged up with pollen and need a quick blast of air to blow them out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think the main issue was that the car sat around all winter and had some moisture in it. It got back from the detailer. The scent isn't really better, but it is different. The car now smells strongly like synthetic flowers, which I'll take over musty urine. It's now listed for sale.

Can you park it with the windows down so it airs out ? Over time the smell should go away.

Next thing is to make sure the sunroof drains are not plugged up and the AC drain is also not plugged up. I had a buddies body shop clean out the sunroof drains on my 2000 GT wagon.

The AC drain is the small hose on the firewall on the passerger side. Just blow it out with a quick blast of air from a compressor.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived