LegacyGT.com

Need some advice, Outback broken.....

Took my 2008 Outback XT in to VanBortel Subaru for check engine light and they found that Catalytic converter was bad. I also mentioned during the previous 6 months at oil change appointments that car hesitates during acceleration at times and is a bit jerky. They could not reproduce this each time.

Service guy calls me Friday with "Good news and Bad news". Bad news is they test drove after Cat installation and notice the hesitation. Pulled plugs and found#1 plug destroyed. Scoped the cylinder and said that valve was stuck and might be engine damage. Pulled engine and said piston had piece broken off and also damage to cylinder wall. They say it needs a new shortblock, etc...Estimate is almost $8000 in parts alone. Car has 95,000 miles but has a great service record. They are offering me $2500 plus the appraised value of the car toward the purchase of another car on their lot. I still owe Subaru Finance $7000 for the outright purchase.

I think this sounds a little weird. $8000 for shortblock, etc???? Does that sound ridiculous?? I don't know what to make of this. When I asked about a likely cause they could only theorize and figured that some lean condition due to poor quality gas could have contributed to it....

A penny for your thought......

Dave

• Moderators

It's always suspect in my opinion when a shop tells you your car is all jacked up and then basically offers to buy it as a "favor" to you.

And yes, $8000 is crazy. Should be somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-7k for a new shortblock, including installation.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Short block alone, lowest price I keep hearing on the site is around $1685. Do a quick google search and that's what you should find. Full gasket kit should be around $200-280, heads rebuilt should be around $500-700. Then, you have the miscellaneous parts and labor. So yeah, 8k is ridiculously high IMHO.

MaxCapacity will chime in a few :). Good luck to you man.

• Moderators

$640 each for heads? What does that mean exactly? Are they buying new heads? Why do you need all new cams?

Find an independent mechanic that works on subarus or a local speed shop that builds these motors.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived